Weight Gain and Commercial Diets

DrVadaC
on 11/5/14 1:56 pm

Hello

I had RNY surgery in 2009. Lost over 125lbs but have since gained more than 30 lbs back due to a knee repair surgery in 2012, inablility to continue on my exercise regiment and to be more specific MS, the chronic disease, Ive been diagnosed with over 10years ago. With the slow knee physical therapy. exercise has been very restricted.

Monday, I started the HCG 1234 diet. I want to really follow it while not jeopardizing my health. Please share if you or other WLS victors have been on this Diet.

Ladytazz
on 11/6/14 2:15 am

My sister, who is 12+ post op went on the HCG diet a few years ago, lost a lot of weight and then it all came back with a vengeance.

My fear is that it would be like all the other diets I used to try, rapid weight loss (at least in the beginning) followed by even faster weight gain.

There really is no reason to do that.  The last thing you want to do is starve yourself so that when you go back to eating normally your body will react by gaining even easier.

At this point you probably have little to no malabsorption but I'll bet you will have restriction, if you use it right.

You hear it all the time but I'll say it again.  Basics.  Protein first, dense protein to fill you up so that by the time you get to the vegetables you don't have a lot of room left.

And for all that is holy, avoid the refined carbs.  You may be one that can eat things with sugar and flour in moderation but right now that doesn't seem to be working well.  If you want to try again at least wait until you are back where you want to be and then add them in slowly and see if you are able to be satisfied with a small amount.  My guess, based on personal experience is that you won't.

The problem is once some of use start on them it isn't as easy to stop. When you let the genie out of the bottle he doesn't really want to go back in.  That is why I just don't try.  I've never eaten those things in moderation before and I have 40+ years of experience to back it up.  Including a failed WLS.

I have a feeling I'm not telling you something you don't know.

It may take a bit to detox off the carbs but once you do you won't miss them a bit and there is a lot of other things to eat so you aren't going to be deprived.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Laura in Texas
on 11/6/14 2:56 am

What and how much you eat is far more important than how much exercise you do. Clean up your diet and cut back on the calories. Measure and track every bite.

I wish you the best. I have several friends with MS.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views