vitamins

CHELLEYGIRL
on 11/6/14 11:42 pm - PALMDALE, CA

I havent had my vitamins in over a year, so I already know they say its bad not to take them.... But I want to know why? All my lab work comes back just fine without them. So why is it a must? I am just over 3 years out from my rny

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

chulbert
on 11/7/14 12:27 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

If you have labs regularly and your numbers are fine then I wouldn't be too concerned.  It's not really any different from the fact I don't take iron because my numbers are actually high.

Just make sure you keep up the testing.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 11/7/14 12:31 am - PALMDALE, CA

Thanks for your response! I do get tested regularly :)

Karen518
on 11/7/14 12:27 am

I'm no expert, and we had surgery around the same time, but the science and theory of the situation says that with reduced consumption and decreased absorption, it is not considered likely-even if it might be theoretically possible-to consume enough of the nutrients needed to maintain your health for the long haul.  

I don't know what labs you had done, or the results, but I hope you are having comprehensive testing done and that you are tracking results closely and monitoring trends to catch drops in levels before they become big problems.  You may have had good vitamin stores from before surgery, but I know that I am not willing to risk all of the complications that can arise due to lack of proper nutrition.  I knew when I decided to have RNY that I was committing to a life of vitamin supplements, and I feel it was well worth it.  I won't preach, but I will encourage you to think about the risks.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 11/7/14 12:37 am - PALMDALE, CA

I appreciate your response :) I have my 12-14 viles of blood drawn every 6 months or so. and everything always checks out fine. :) Thank you for encouragement and not beating me up!!! 

Ocalasam
on 11/7/14 1:33 am
RNY on 12/18/12

My friend had surgery about 10 years ago and hasn't taken vitamins in about 7 years and has her labs drawn yearly and they always look good.  I would still be a little nervous, maybe some of the vets will chime in.  I hate taking my vitamins, but I feel that it's not optional.  I'm interested to hear other responses.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 11/8/14 6:25 am - PALMDALE, CA

I was curious to see if anyone had HELPFUL info instead of bashing. :) apparently bashing is in these days. I guess this site just isnt what it used to be. :( And how is your friend doing? Healthy ?after 10 years!

Poodlemac
on 11/7/14 1:41 am
RNY on 09/26/14

From all I've read, if you are not deficient in anything, taking supplements would be a total waste. The body will expel them as waste. Consider it a blessing your diet is sufficient to keep you healthy!

poet_kelly
on 11/7/14 4:58 am - OH

I don't think that's exactly right.  RNY patients should be taking supplements to prevent deficiency.  Why would I want to wait until I am deficient in, say B12, and develop permanent nerve damage to start taking a B12 supplement? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 11/7/14 2:00 am - OH

Really, all your labs are good without taking any vitamins?  What's your B12 level?  Iron?  Vitamin D?  Vitamin A?  Zinc?  PTH?

How was your last bone density scan?

I'm really skeptical that all your labs are fine without taking any vitamins in over a year.  Is your doc doing a full set of labs?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 242 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics