Severe Acid Reflux - 3 years out

allicole1235
on 11/9/14 9:24 pm - Chesapeake, VA

Hello, 3 years out from surgery this month. The past 2-3 days I have had severe acid reflux. My stomach and my throat are burning. Im trying to eat a bland diet and taking Zantac 3 times a day. I cant get in to the Dr until Dec 5th. What would cause sudden acid reflux? I havent had it since before surgery so Im worried why its happening now. Anything else I can do for relief? A friend stated Prilosec helped her more than Zantac...I will try that. Thank you.

poet_kelly
on 11/9/14 10:30 pm - OH

Why can't you get into the doctor until Dec?  Is that your surgeon you can't get into?  What about your PCP?

I don't know what would cause you to suddenly have reflux so bad.  It sounds like you're doing the right things to try to deal with it until you can see a doctor.  I would also avoid caffeine, because that can cause increased stomach acid in some people (usually in moderation it's not a problem but since you are having such severe reflux, I'd avoid it altogether if you don't already).

I'd really try to see a doc sooner than Dec 5.  You will probably need some sort of tests ordered, but also there are prescription meds that can help reduce the acid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Louise1974
on 11/9/14 11:14 pm

Are you sure it is acid reflux?  I have had acute esophagitis on and off over the last few months.  We are still trying to figure out why but it is wildly painful and focused in the throat.  I agree with Kelly, I would get in with a doc as soon as possible, that doesn't sound right, you want that checked out.

clr055
on 11/10/14 1:31 am - Lewisville, ID

Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water will square you away, as long as you are not on blood pressure meds.

april89love
on 11/10/14 10:41 am - NC

I agree on the apple cider vinegar. Get the kind with the muther in it. I took a sip regularly throughout the day for a while and it worked as well or better than any of the prescription meds I tried. I had areas of gastritis in my pouch, at least that's what they said after the endoscopy.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics