Pre-Surgery Stuff

clr055
on 11/11/14 3:59 am - Lewisville, ID

So I have been given a surgery date of 12/2/14, its a Tuesday. My plan is to work Monday but a coworker just warned me that with surgery they often have you do a "cleansing" the day before which would make working impossible. Did any of your surgeons have you guys do something like that? I know it can be different for every surgeon, just looking for what you all experienced. Thanks!

AngryViking
on 11/11/14 4:08 am
RNY on 07/17/14

My surgery was on a Thursday and I worked a regular day the day before.  My surgeon just had me on a clear liquid diet for the three days prior so no reason to stay home.

Racewalker48
on 11/11/14 5:22 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I was not required to complete a bowel cleanse before my surgery, only a 2 week pre op liquid diet.

chulbert
on 11/11/14 5:41 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I was restricted to clear liquids the day before surgery and nothing by mouth after midnight; however, I did not have to cleanse.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/11/14 5:43 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had to do a go-lyte-ly colon cleanse that was pretty miserable.  

I don't mean this to be snarky, but it really doesn't matter what anyone else had to do on this board, but rather, what your surgeon requires.  So, I would just call your clinic and ask them.  

As a final note, I did work earlier in the day and did the colon cleanse routine after 4 pm.  

GOOD LUCK!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Poodlemac
on 11/11/14 12:54 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Ironically, there is nothing "lytely" about the way you "go" with that stuff!  Pure misery!

to the OPs question, I did not do a cleanse before surgery. 1 week of protein shakes and clear liquids. Good luck!

Jill724
on 11/12/14 1:20 am
RNY on 07/24/14

I was on a 2 week pre-op diet and I did have to cleanse the day before surgery. I was told to drink half a bottle at 3pm and the other half at 7pm, It wasn't as bad as it could have been considering I was on a liquid diet. I do suggest that if you do need to cleanse that you be home and close to your toilet!! Best of Luck to you!!!!

clr055
on 11/12/14 1:39 am - Lewisville, ID

I understand it changes with every surgeon. I am waiting for them to call me back to give me the information I need. The same sentiment could be said about 90% of the questions asked on this forum yet we continue to ask because it calms and assures us as we go into this to hear it from people who have been through it. I greatly appreciate every ones input!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 385 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views