Why would my doc keep asking me if I am sure I want Gastric over Sleeve?

pammiv
on 11/11/14 4:49 am

I am 45, have been overweight my entire life, tried everything and have now elected to go ahead with Gastric Bypass.  When I go in for my monthly follow up required by my insurance, doctor always asks "you are selecting gastric sleeve correct?"  I say no gastric bypass because I have 100lbs to lose and I want a permanet change realizing I will have work to do for success.  This goes on every month for the last 3 even with his nurse all surprised I am getting gastric not sleeve?  Any ideas why?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/11/14 5:36 am
RNY on 12/31/13

The sleeve is a quicker and easier surgery.  It is also very popular right now. I think that it is done more than the RNY at many clinics now.   

There are many reasons.  I don't think any surgery is necessarily better than another -- but certain surgeries are better suited to individuals.  For example, I was a super-morbidly obese insulin dependent diabetic.  I knew that the RNY had great stats for putting my diabetes into remission and that I would likely benefit from malabsorption along with restriction.  My surgeon, whom I trust agreed that it was the best option for me.

I had considered the DS, but my insurance didn't offer coverage for that -- and I couldn't afford to self-pay.  

The VSG is a great surgery.  I understand that a lot of people prefer it because it seems less invasive to them since the intestines aren't re-routed.  I saw it differently, as I didn't like the idea of my stomach being partially removed.  In my mind, that was completely irreversible.  Truthfully, looking back, I was splitting hairs. They are both pretty invasive.  As I said before, I felt that I needed the added boost of malabsorption. I do think the VSG is especially great for those *****quire pain medications/NSAIDs due to arthritis, etc. while the RNY is preferable for those who suffer reflux.  

As a final note, I know a lot of people who are successful with their VSG.  I have no regrets having had an RNY.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Chilipepper
on 11/11/14 6:26 am

What Kathryn said! I agree 100%. I would have never considered a restriction only surgery for myself. 

Go go look at the revision boards.  If you want a bypass make sure that is what you get. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

bublegirl1
on 11/11/14 6:41 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I just revised from the sleeve to rny yesterday. I have also been overweight all my life since a little girl. The sleeve was good and I lost a lot of weight but never got to goal. I gained half that weight back but have maintained that for about two years. I never thought I would do rny but I came to the realization that it might help me get to goalore effectively than the sleeve. Good luck and get what you feel is best for you!

-Amie

pammiv
on 11/11/14 7:01 am

Thank you all!  This has been very helpful.  I LOVE sweets and that is why I have almost always said I was interested in RNY but if people keep on being surprised when you tell them RNY and they are the doctors, you start to second guess yourself.  I have been on every diet and limited myself to one small bite of ice cream and yet here I sit 100lbs over goal.  So I think I need the real deal to be done for life.   Thank you again for all the insight - Much appreciated...   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/11/14 11:57 am - OH

You do know, though, that there isn't anything about the RNY that would force you to not eat sweets, and that only 30% of us dump, correct? If you are relying on dumping to keep you from eating sweets for the rest of your life, then statistically speaking you will likely be disappointed.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JenniPenny
on 11/12/14 12:41 am - MN

Ihad RNY 14 yrs ago and would do it over again every single year if I had to in order to keep feeling this good.No problems, no complications, life is good and eating is fun! I do sweets, but a couple Hershey kisses takes care of me for the day - not a biggie anymore. I eat protein forward or only meals, get lots of exercise, lost well over  100 pounds and am healthy, fit and loving every day still after RNY. I"ll be 57 in a couple weeks  and can run circles around most people half my age. The RNY is permanent (although some docs can reverse it), it works, it's lifelong and it's a tool  that's always there for you. follow your doc or nuts post op plan, take your vitamins and you'll be fine. Lovin life and hope you feel the same when you get  yours! I highly recommend it! (I have many friends that have also had RNY. They are from 2-18 yrs out and they all would do it again in a heartbeat). good luck to you !

Jen RNY 2001

pammiv
on 11/12/14 1:11 am

Thank you so much for these words of honesty!  Appreciate it very much.

indybuttercup
on 11/17/14 5:11 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I wonder if it is because of the sweets. My dr asked me several time how much sweets I ate. when I said you keep asking me the same thing she said she bypassed 100 foot for non sweet eaters and 150 (to cause dumping) in people who ate sweets. Sweets were not my trigger. she removed the lesser and I don't dump. i do eat sweets and believe I have dumped 1 to 2 times in 7 years...

cspotrun
on 11/11/14 9:18 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I posted recently about something similar.  My surgeon, nutritionist and nurse all did the same exact thing to me...to the point that I have had bouts of paranoia after the surgery that I got the sleeve instead of RNY!  They do the same thing at my follow-up appointments.  I truly believe it's because at the moment they are doing more sleeves than RNY, especially for "lightweights".  

Karen   

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views