My ups and downs

knolmom
on 11/11/14 11:42 am

I first began to follow the forums in early October when I had my first meeting with my surgeon. We agreed on a gastric sleeve but a few days later my endoscopy revealed the early stages of Barrets Esophagus. She told me to go home and think about what I wanted, a lap band or RNY. I have more than 100 lbs to loose and am a high risk heart/ lung patient but my Drs including my Bariatric surgeon feel confident that I could have RNY. One week later, on October 30, I made the RNY decision.

Her calendar was so full, and I want to have the surgery at a teaching hospital, so the earliest date was January14. I was despondent, after starting the process in September and having all my tests and approvals completed hoping to have the surgery in November and then not having the sleeve and having to go through the holidays and having to recover in the bad weather in NY. In any event, I met with my NUT and she gave me the surgeons diet, which is 2 protien shakes a day and one high protien meal with meat/ fish and veggies. No bread, no sugar,  no fat, oil, butter or salad dressing. This diet should be started 2 weeks before surgery, but with my BMI she thought it would be a great idea if I started that day, which I did. She asked me to do the best I can until the final two weeks.

Not only did I treat myself to two weeks in Fla but I also have been pretty successful in adhering to the diet. It is not that bad. Had no trouble avoiding the food funerals that I had planned. My bonus is that the hospital called this morning..could I take a date of Dec 3 that opened??  I answered a resounding YES!  Boy, am I glad that I started on the diet. Hopefully I will be eating puréed food for Christmas and on the losers bench instead of starting the diet. Yippee!

NYMom222
on 11/11/14 2:41 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Glad things are working out. I wanted my date moved up but it never worked out... but once you are past it you are just glad you had it and are on the other side. What part of NY are you from? I live on Long island. I had RNY with no real complications. You don't want the lapband anyway, too many complications are possible. Your body can heal from surgery, but never gets used to having a foreign object in it. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

carimiller9173
on 11/11/14 10:08 pm - Wilmington, DE

Congrats on getting a new surgery date.... Best of luck and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

iloveravens
on 11/11/14 10:37 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Yay for you, glad to hear you got a sooner surgery date.  Good luck!!!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

karenp8
on 11/11/14 11:43 pm - Brighton, IL

Congratulations on your earlier surgery date! It sounds like you are ready to go.

clr055
on 11/12/14 2:31 am - Lewisville, ID

That is awesome!! My surgery is set for December 2nd!! Doesn't it feel so close yet so far? lol. Sounds like you are doing great and are breezing right through this. What a great way to begin a new year isn't it!

knolmom
on 11/12/14 9:46 am

Thanks for all of your encouraging replies. I wanted to have the surgery done before winter really sets in as I have a mobility problem. I walk with a walker due to a severe knee injury seven years ago. It cannot be corrected by surgery, and I have gained 70 lbs and developed Type 11 Diabetes since the accident. I do exercise every other day by walking in the indoor pool. Even that will be tough to do during my early recovery period. My DH was very sick this summer and dies not drive far. So, hopefully, with this earlier date, I will be able to get outside before too much snow falls and hopefully be cleared to travel to Florida by early Febrary. That will so much better for my exercise routine of walking and swimming.

i am from Suffen NY and having my surgery done at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan. They have the best support there for my risk factors, and fortunately my Doctors operate there. I am in Flirida now, walking my a$$ off in the pool and coming home next week for the final clearances and pre op testing. Diet still going well.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics