Feeding Tube Port After RNY

Bagspacked
on 11/13/14 11:16 am

I am scheduled for RNY next Friday. The doctor told me today that they will be inserting a tube that will remain in my remnant stomach for 7 days. This is for diabetic and CPAP patients only, and can be used to insert meds, water, protein supplements... Can anyone here tell me about this? Is this standard?

Kathyjs
on 11/13/14 11:57 am

I had one it was no big deal  felt weird when they pulled it out

Bagspacked
on 11/13/14 12:22 pm

Thanks for responding. I think that many people believe it to be a drain. Some use it to get their H2O quota in via a turkey-baster size syringe. Just wondered if anyone had a name for it. Thanks again.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/13/14 1:07 pm, edited 11/13/14 1:08 pm - OH

It is just called a gastric/gastrostomy tube or G-tube.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/13/14 1:06 pm - OH

I was not diabetic, nor did I have a CPAP, but my surgeon used one for my open RNY surgery.  She doesn't do it for everyone, so I'm not even sure why she decided to do it for me.  It is definitely not "standard".

It stayed in until my follow-up visit 2.5 weeks post-op. It hurt a bit when she removed it (mostly her trying to cut the sutures holding it in place) and it left a small scar, but it was a very convenient way to get in all my liquids and to not waste protein shakes that were too disgusting to drink!  

What I remember most (this was 7 years ago) was how bizarre it was to have just eaten a small amount of something and have a newly full pouch but still feel the remnant stomach growling with hunger.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ocalasam
on 11/13/14 9:38 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

My surgeon makes all of his patients get a G-tube (regular lap RNY), and I had to keep it for 4-6 weeks!!!  It was the worst thing about my recovery.  That thing was always getting in the way and the wound opened every time I moved.  I did use it for fluids and protein (since I had it).  Seven days shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Bagspacked
on 11/14/14 1:48 am

Thank you everyone. Someone very important to me was asking detailed questions and we needed more info. This is what I needed. Thanks!

MyLady Heidi
on 11/14/14 9:00 pm

So I am assuming this to be your doctors preference because nearly ten years ago when I had my surgery he used an NG tube which was removed shortly after surgery, and my surgery was open.  I would question the need for this.

Good Luck!

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 11/14/14 11:37 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I had diabetes and was supposed to be using a CPAP (never could get used to it) and the only tube I had was the drain tube.  

My doc did leave me intubated for about an hour after surgery while I was in recovery which WAS HELL.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 228 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?