The dreaded potluck..... and hunger questions!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/14 1:16 am
RNY on 09/08/14

Well today we are having a potluck at work to celebrate the maternity leave of one of our employees. I'm slightly nervous about it. I'm close to 6 weeks out from surgery and the further away I get the harder it gets to always make healthy choices. I've never had issues eating anything (though to be fair I've never really tried anything with more than 5 grams of sugar or fat) and I've started having more cravings lately. I know its my brain not my stomach wanting things but its still a struggle. My plan of action is to just pick small amounts of the healthiest choices. How do you usually handle these situations? Does anyone else find themselves tempted? I hear people say they are never hungry and don't want food. I do get hungry! I'm easily satisfied but I feel hunger for sure. Where do stand on this issue?

Patm
on 11/14/14 1:28 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I always make sure I take something I can eat. If there are other items I might try a spoonful or two. Just be careful it is easy to overload at these type of events

alaskasusan
on 11/14/14 1:43 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

How is your water intake? Sometimes drinking water will take care of the hunger pains. Stay on top of the water. And do you have a plan to stay with in the measured amount you are allowed at this point? Good luck.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/14/14 2:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Truthfully, six weeks isn't very far out -- so it's good that you recognize this weakness now rather than 6 months to a year out when you will definitely have even more temptations than now.  I guess I would encourage you to consider your relationship with food and why you are so tempted to make "unhealthy" choices, because what choose to eat often has a lot less to do with hunger but rather desire (head hunger).  No one has ever starved from head hunger!  :-)

I don't eat at pot lucks.  I go to the celebration to enjoy the company of other people not to eat all the food that made me fat in the first place.  I usually bring my own food, make something I could eat and plan the amount, eat a 3 oz serving of a non-fried/non breaded protein, or in the worse case scenario, eat the emergency Quest bar I always have in my purse.

The food isn't the celebration... your co-worker's maternity leave and your friends are.  This is what I mean about considering your relationship with food.  It's important to see how we see food so that we can have better control and make better choices.  So, my advice to you is not to leave making healthy eating choices up to chance -- and to view the celebration for what it is: wishing someone a great maternity leave.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

HFA70
on 11/14/14 2:56 am

I usually have a protein shake or bar before attending buffets or potlucks.  I take a couple of tbsps of a few different things and I'm satisfied.

kwashington09
on 11/14/14 3:02 am

We had a potluck at my job when I was 8 weeks out I made some roast and veggies in a crock pot I fixed mine in one of my smalll containers to make sure i was not eating too much and I still only ate about half of that. I just enjoyed socializing with the coworkers try to focus on the celebration and not the food.

Ladytazz
on 11/14/14 4:39 am

We have a lot of lunches and potlucks at our work and I handle it one of two ways.  When they are bringing in lunch I just take my normal lunch and eat that unless I know they are having something I will eat, like one time they had pizza and they actually ordered a gluten free pizza for those of us who are gluten free.  It was nice to know I'm not the only one.

Of it's a potluck I kind of do the same thing only I bring enough of what I have having to share.

So basically what I am saying is free lunch, potluck, holiday, whatever, I have a plan and I stay on plan.  I try not to just wing it and make healthy choices because I don't know that there will be healthy choices and I don't need an excuse to eat something I know will cause me issues.  And by  issues I mean both physically and mentally.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Price S.
on 11/14/14 9:52 pm - Mills River, NC

for potlucks, I always take something I know I can eat so I know I have something to eat.  You never know what others are bringing and what is really in them.  When I know I am going to be tempted by deserts, I also take a SF desert so I know I can have a bite of something sweet and it will keep me out of the rest of it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 371 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views