Stressing over preop weight loss requirements

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 11/14/14 6:01 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I am scheduled for surgery on December 2nd. Preoop will be in 5 days. I have been doing all meals as protein shakes except one. Now I will be starting the full preop fast today. A little stressed out that I have only lost 14lbs of the 30 lbs my doctor suggested prior to surgery. I hope he doesn't delay surgery. Not only for the obvious reasons, but also because soon after surgery I will probably need chemo treatment for auto immune disease. I know this will be a tough lifestyle change. I am already learning so much about the quality and quantities of food. Any suggestions you all have to get the next 15 lbs in two weeks of preop? Fav protein powders? Tips tricks anything would be appreciated! 

http://bypassgal2014.blogspot.com

clr055
on 11/15/14 4:34 am - Lewisville, ID

Hi. I am also scheduled for 12/2. What is your pre open diet suppose to consist of? Do you go to full liquids? 14 pounds us very good! How long did it take you to loose that? 

I just tried my first protein shake, injury vanilla. It's not very good and I wonder if they all have that funny smell and taste, I hope not. I bought a lot of samples of different flavors so we shall see. 

Is your doctor willing to prescribe medication to help? Phentermine maybe?

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 11/15/14 5:05 am
RNY on 12/02/14

It took me around 3 weeks. But I was eating one meal per day. I use premier protein from Costco one of many reccomended by my doctor. I have pre op this week and will ask about help. I need anxiety meds as well. So scary the waiting! For flavored I like mocha or chocolate. I have vanilla. Which is weird because in real food I am the opposite. I think chocolate masks the processed powder taste better than vanilla. %

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 11/15/14 5:54 am
RNY on 12/02/14
poet_kelly
on 11/15/14 5:14 am - OH

I'd follow your doctor's advice for the pre-op diet.  Did your doc suggest you lose 30 lbs or is it a requirement?  If you're not sure, I'd call the office and ask.  And if you're not sure about what to eat or how to lose the remaining weight, I'd talk with him or with a registered dietician and follow  their advice.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NYMom222
on 11/15/14 5:52 am
RNY on 07/23/14

It sounds like you are doing wonderfully, and I would be surprised if the Doctor wasn't happy with your progress as well. My doc gave me a number but it wasn't written in stone as they say... They don't have a crystal ball to know exactly how much you will lose. I know some docs are more sticklers than others. You just have to ask when you go in. I think they want to see how committed you are as well as the shrinking of the liver part. There really is nothing more you can do diet-wise than what you are doing. On the day of I wouldn't drink for 2 hours before, in hopes that my bladder will be empty, and I would wear leggings with a tank top and a sweater, that way you can take the sweater off and get weighed in just the tank top and leggings. I know that sounds crazy, but I do that all the time at the docs because I want my measurements to be consistent and not effected by the clothes I have on. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 11/15/14 5:59 am
RNY on 12/02/14

Thanks NYMom for the supporting words. It is a target number not required. Since doc is hours from me I did ask nurse If I had to hit that number as it is a waste for me to go there if they won't consider. She said it was target.  I will definitely take your advice for my weigh ins. Every little bit helps. 

http://bypassgal2014.blogspot.com

beachtreat77
on 11/15/14 9:09 pm - weeki wachee, FL
RNY on 11/19/14

When I went to my pre op they said if any diet meds are in our system or taken in the last 21days they would cancel the sugergy because of the risks of irregular heart beat during surgery could be fatal.

HW 282 / SW PRE-OP 270/ SW ?/ CW 270 /GW 150

I can do all things through Christ which strengthenth me. Philippians 4:13

Han Shot First
on 11/15/14 11:36 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

It's good that it's only a suggestion.  I would think you're fine, since your 14 lbs shows you are serious and committed.  Is your one meal a day a "normal" meal or something else.  I had to do a 10 day pre-op diet, and mine consisted of 2 protein shakes and a diet frozen dinner, like Lean Cuisine.  My calories were less than 700 a day with this.  If you're still eating regular food, maybe try changing to these frozen meals for the last two weeks.  They helped me lose 26 lbs over those 10 days.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 450 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 410 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?