Getting Closer to Surgery Date of Dec. 1

Zonechef
on 11/15/14 1:56 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Hi,

I am fairly new here and scheduled for RNY on Dec. 1 (awaiting final insurance confirmation. I am 56yo. I am about 265 (295lbs 2 months ago. I lost 30lbs. in the past 2 month on the south beach diet) however losing weight has never been a problem for me, I seem to do well at it every 4 or 5 years but I always gain it back within 2-3 years. I guess I am going through many of the usual pre-surgery apprehensions. I currently have high blood pressure, high bad cholesterol and very low good cholesterol. I live alone with little family nearby so I am a bit concerned about taking care of myself post op. I only live 2 blocks from the Hospital where I am having my surgery. I am a chef as my handle imply s so my job is rather physically demanding so any advice on return to work time frame would be appreciated. Any and all tips on energy maintenance, hydration, protien intake, e.g. what worked for you ect. would be much appreciated as well as any other tips. Thanks in advance and really looking forward to this and moving toward a healthy life.

clr055
on 11/15/14 4:21 am - Lewisville, ID

Hi. I am in the same boat as you. My surgery date is 12/2, pending ins approval and I also have local family issues. Is there any chance someone could travel to stay with you for a few days? I am flying someone in to watch my daughter while I am in the hospital and stay for 2 days after. Allegiant air is having an airfare sale, maybe you could pay to fly them in? My surgeon won't do the surgery unless I have someone picking me up from the hospital.

Zonechef
on 11/15/14 7:21 am
RNY on 12/03/14

Thanks for the feedback clr. I actually went through that when I went for my endoscopy. I did not bring anyone to drive me home (I told them I live 2 blocks away and will walk) and the nurses said that they could not do the procedure. My surgeon walked by and they told him what was going on and he said "That's ridiculous, I'll drive him home and he did. During the short drive he said "that's so ridiculous you would have been fine walking, everyone is just so afraid of lawsuits that they overdramatize everything". I may have a ride home but def. no-one to stay with me the first couple of days. I'm thinking I should be fine...barring complications.

phibbmom
on 11/15/14 10:51 am

Hi!  I had surgery on October 7th and my sister came to help me each day for a week.  Honestly the only time I really needed the help was lifting my dog with a back issue (who weighs 13 lbs) to go outside.  It was wonderful to have her with me, but I really didn't need her there.  I feel good but I do get tired more easily.  Sugar free popsicles are wonderful right after surgery.  I found my throat hurt a little bit.  I got up and walked every hour on the day of surgery, but I saw others who were having a harder time.  I was off my pain meds by Friday the week of my surgery.  I really felt good.  I walked after every "meal" for the first 4 weeks for about 10 minutes.  Walking seems to make everything work better.  But each person feels different.  This was only my experience. 

I think it would be hard to return to work before the 4-6 week time period if you have a physically demanding job.  You will have to see how you feel.  Good luck on your surgery.  I'm sure that you will do great!

High: 295  Pre-surgery: 267  Current: 142   RNY: 10/7/14

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 336 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 4 views