Survived My First Holiday Party

clr055
on 11/15/14 6:41 am - Lewisville, ID

I am one week into my preoperative diet (low fat, carb, sugar + one protein shake daily). It's been both hard and easy if that makes sense. I am learning a lot about myself and about food.

So last night was the first of the holiday parties. They were serving bacon wrapped little smilies, funeral potatoes (I live in Idaho, these are a staple at parties), mini meatballs in some sort of sauce and a whole table of chips with every salsa and chip you could imagine. Plus cake, champagne and punch. There was not one single thing I could eat!!! Needless to say we stayed 15 mins and then bailed, it was too hard when I am in this pure will power stage. I survived it but think I might pass on all parties this year, try again next year.

How do you all deal with these social situations?

mschwab
on 11/15/14 9:22 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I am in my pre-op diet too (day 9), and am on liquids.  I have a party tomorrow - a crab feed.  I will attend, have a protein drink before I go, drink water at the party, stay away from the food and enjoy my friends. After all, it's being with my friends that is important.  Not the food.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/15/14 9:54 am

For me - any protein +fat is a great choice. Carbs ...not so much. . 

Bacon, meatloaf (sance the sause) would be great.... Some raw veggies,,, 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

clr055
on 11/15/14 12:03 pm - Lewisville, ID

I wish, but I am in that low fat shrink the liver stage.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/15/14 10:05 pm

The fat (natural - real) should not cause fatty liver...carbs and alcohol does.  Not good fats (IMO) - any hydrogenated fats +vegetable oils like canola, corn, soy, etc.  

Low fat diet - is based on realy old beliefs.  Low fat diet may cause liver issues and gallbladder problems. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Patm
on 11/15/14 10:33 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good for you for staying on plan. I usually make sure I eat before I go. I think while on a restrictive diet it may be hard. If you feel you can not deal with it then skip this year. This is about your health.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 408 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 418 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404