Xpost- Total knee replacement and pain management

KatCooper
on 11/19/14 10:02 am - Collierville, TN

Well, the right knee has given it up.  I have had cortisone and synthetic cartilage injections for years and its time for a total knee replacement.   Pain management has become an issue.  I can not take steroids or NSAIDS due to my bypass.   Norco/Percocet tablets cause severe gastric burning and pain.   Those of you who had Roux-en-Y bypass, what did you do for your pain?  I walk 8-9 hours a day for work.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Amy R.
on 11/19/14 10:37 am

I posted on the Main Board too, but since lots of folks don't go there I thought I'd put it up here as well.

A  Fentanyl patch might be an option?  It's a narcotic (and a powerful one) but it is released transdermally (is that word?) so shouldn't cause stomach burning.

I need a TKR as well but have been putting it off.  The Fentanyl patches are helpful at times when I don't want to be thinking about or taking pain pills all day long.  They last for three days.

At any rate, good luck to you=)

MickeyDee
on 11/19/14 2:40 pm, edited 11/19/14 2:41 pm

I had a Left TKR in September, 2014, and going back in December for the Right TKR.  I was given Oxycodene (HCL) with max of 30 mg dosage.  This gave me eight hours of relief, and I was able to do the P/T required.  At this time, I am using 5 mg at bedtime, which can be helpful in getting to sleep, and I may use 5 mg if going to the gym just to soothe my right knee, which is going bad now!

The pain relief from the surgery was (and is) profound.  I am walking with little or no pain in my left knee.  I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Good luck.

KatCooper
on 11/20/14 1:59 am - Collierville, TN

Thank you to both of you for your replies!!!  I am ready to get this knee done!!!

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 427 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 404 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 260 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 115 views