Interesting Info re: Changes in a1C levels

MickeyDee
on 11/17/14 5:29 am

This is actually from July, 2014, but I thought it might be enlightening for all of us:

"

Dr. Fran Cogen TREATMENT

Hemoglobin A1c Guidelines: Latest American Diabetes Association® Recommendations

Dr. Fran Cogen Health Pro September 03, 2014
  •  

In the July 2014 issue of Diabetes Care, written by Chiang, Kirkman, Laffel, and Peters, (Diabetes Care 2014; 37:2034–2054 | DOI: 10.2337/dc14-1140), new guidelines were provided for hemoglobin (hb) A1c. No longer are A1cs stratified by different age groups. Rather, new guidelines have been developed according to recent evidenced-based literature.  They are as follows:

Summary of A1C recommendations for non-pregnant people with diabetes*

Youths younger than 18 years   less than 7.5 percent

Adults                                                         less than 7.0 percent

Older adults:

Healthy+                                                   less than7.5 percent

Complex/intermediate health  less than 8.0 percent

Very complex/poor health           less than 8.5 percent

*Target must be individualized based on a patient’s cir****tances

+No comorbidities, long life expectancy

- See more at: http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/651280/171472/guidelines-recommendations/?ap=105#sthash.O5BRBVNk.dpuf" 

I really enjoy knowing my RNY and continuous vigilance regarding dietetic intake of refined carbs have helped me maintain my Diabetes II remission for eight years. I have to admit, most medical professionals don't believe me, but that's their problem, not mine, for not keeping up with the latest in research.  But it is a constant battle.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/17/14 8:21 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I don't understand these recommendations.  They are horrible --and I think it's linked to the ADA being heavily funded by drug manufacturers and junk food companies.

Research conducted with human patients, mice, and pancreas beta cell cultures all point to a single threshold at which elevated blood sugars cause permanent damage to your body. What is that level? 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) after meals.  YET a A1c of 7.0 means that average blood glucose is 188!!  

postprandial blood glucose predicts mortality

blood sugar relationships with artery thickening

A1c and Mortality Rates

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

unrulyjulie
on 11/19/14 1:55 am
RNY on 09/29/14

Are you sure its 188.  When I was at 7.1% the endo said the ave blood glucose was 157.  Was happy with that considering no meds I was at 10%

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404