How do you deal with pain? Can't do NSAIDs, etc

Cheryl N.
on 11/18/14 2:51 am - Des Moines, WA

I have numerous joint/ortho issues and have been taking percocet for a while.  It does really help calm my pain down.  My doctor is wanting to taper me off, but I have an appt with him next week to discuss this.  He knows I had the bypass and can't do NSAIDs.  

Regular tynoel doesn't really touch the pain.  I am very unlucky to have lots of ortho issues with my hands, shoulders and elbow.  I feel like they think I am making it all up.   My doctor is out of town until next week and the sub doctor denied my refill request of pain meds.  I have been off pain meds for a few days now and I am not experiencing withdrawls at all.

What do you do for pain?  

Help.  

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Cheryl N.
on 11/18/14 2:54 am - Des Moines, WA

I am aware that DEA are watching doctors, etc.  I am just not happy that there are so many people abusing pain meds which makes it harder for us *****ally needs them.   

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

clr055
on 11/18/14 3:02 am - Lewisville, ID

Yeah with that new regulation on it I don't think they can do refills. I think you have to go in and get a new prescription each month. Good luck, do they know what causes all this pain? You don't have RA do you?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/18/14 5:11 am - OH

Yep, no refills permitted.  Having to get new physcial scripts rather than just having refills is a pain (no pun intended)...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cheryl N.
on 11/18/14 3:05 am - Des Moines, WA

Yes I do have RA.  Ankylosing Spondylitis and numerous ortho issues.  Had shoulder surgery in 2013.. and got in a really bad car accident 5 months ago and still in pain.  

mschwab
on 11/18/14 3:41 am
RNY on 11/21/14

The DEA has reclassified most pain medications from a class III narcotic to a class II narcotic.  That means that a physician cannot refill an Rx, and must write a new Rx each time.  It also puts a significant tracking and reporting requirement on physicians and pharmacies, as well as oversight by the DEA.  It is an unfortunate outcome that these rules interfere with the treatment of patients who do not abuse the drugs and truly need them.  There is a problem, however, with long term narcotic drug use, in that over time, the drugs themselves can cause pain.  It is a tricky situation.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/18/14 5:09 am - OH

Unfortunately, there aren't any good pain meds that we can take that aren't narcotics.  Even now Tramadol is scheduled.

The only thing I can suggest is that your doctor may want to consider some of the things like Cymbalta or Lyrica that are secondarily pain relievers.  They may or may not be appropriate for you, though.

I need pain relievers a lot less with my knees now replaced, but I still have arthritis in several fingers and in my lower back, so I am still definitely affected by the issue, and I share your frustration that abuse of narcotics is impacting people with legitimate needs.

Lora

Cheryl N.
on 11/18/14 5:28 am - Des Moines, WA

Yeah, I don't think the sub doc knows me and my history, etc.  I did try this different medication called NORTRIPTYLINE, but it did not really work, and did not like how it made me feel in the mornings. 

I made an appt with my doc next Friday.  He will be back in the office Monday.  In the meantime I am just taking store brand Tyneol PM and generic tyneol.  Doesn't really touch pain much but.... Also just downloaded an app on my android called "Pain Coach"... neat app... helps keep track of pain and pain levels, triggers, etc.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/18/14 12:28 pm - OH

I posted a thread just a couple of minutes ago on a psychological approach to pain.  It may or may not help, but it cannot hurt to try.  If nothing else, you will be relaxed when you are done, LOL.

If it even helps a little bit between now and when you can get in to see the doctor for more meds, though, it would be worth the few minutes of time that it takes.

Lora

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/18/14 11:27 pm

Google SiBo and fybromyalgia - pains. Also : leaky gut syndrome

Really eye opening.  I had really bad sciatica that i used to take 1-2 narcos a day for...and changing my diet and 3 weeks treatment of antibiotics my pain went from 7-8 to 1-3....

I still have to mainatin a good very special diet, but who knows ? Maybe one dayi can heal my leaky gut... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 265 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics