Had surgery 3 years ago and I'm stuck! Suggestions?

charlotte180
on 11/24/14 4:53 am - Phoenix, AZ

I had RNY in 2011. I started at 280, and I lost 60 lbs in 4 months. Then I quit smoking, and my weight loss stopped. I've been struggling to stay between 205 - 215, but had gone up to 240 earlier this year and lost 30 lbs i 3 months by following a VERY strict diet (only protein, fat, vegetables, fruit - all weighed to the tenth of an ounce. No starches whatsoever, no sugars, no sugar substitutes). Exactly what I would have done pre-op anyway. It was unsustainable for me.

Frustrating, because I've met people who've gotten RNY and I see them snacking on crappy junk food, and they're totally normal weight now, years out. This has not happened for me. I don't know what to do. 

Question to those who are reaching their goal weight: What is the most important or effective change you've made in your eating since surgery that helped lose the weight? Is it planning your food? Avoiding certain foods? Eating only at specific times? Sticking to a regimen? Just naturally eating less food in general? 

Any links to good forum topics I should read would help too. Also, I think I would benefit from having an accountability buddy. Any suggestions for where to find one?

Thanks for your help. Good to be back 

karin602
on 11/24/14 5:45 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I am not as far out as you but am religiously following the surgeon's plan. Are you still doing follow ups? If not you might want to schedule an appointment as well as perhaps nutritionist as well. My biggest fear is gaining right now am at normal bmi and trying to lose three or more pounds. For me I have to be especially mindful on weekends if I don't have plans. I have some medical issues which makes exercise difficult. On good days I like to do the Leslie sansone walk at home DVD. Upping your exercise may help don't know how much you are currently doing. Do you use my fitness pal?  Good luck. Let me know how you're doing. You can definitely send me a friend request. Would love to offer you whatever support you need.

Karin

karenp8
on 11/24/14 7:23 am - Brighton, IL

I'm not as far out as you at 27 months post op but I was able to lose to below my goal weight by 20+ pounds. I feel that planning my food daily and measuring my foods when I eat has helped me get to where I am.I journal my food (every bite of it) and my exercise every day. I exercise about 90 minutes a day,most of which is fast walking. I do at least 3 miles a day and when time permits more. I eat mostly protein and non starchy vegetables and Greek yogurt. I avoid pasta,rice and bread because they don't settle well. I dump so sugar is out too. I really don't miss these foods though because now I am a healthy,active normal sized person for the first time ever. And I am loving it! Welcome back and looking forward to hearing more about your journey!

rocky513
on 11/24/14 8:16 am, edited 11/24/14 8:17 am - WI

You DO know what to do... because you've done it!  Protein first then veggies if you have room. No sugar or starchy foods ( like pasta, bread, rice).  Limit fruits to two servings per day.  Eating like this is sustainable.  Those of us who have succeeded have changed our relationship with food and have committed to a new way of life.  We don't look at others and say, "Why can't I eat like she does?"  We know that we have to follow the rules if we want to be healthy and we just do it.  No magic... No secrets... just follow the rules.

I am four years out from RNY surgery and I am within 5 pounds of my lowest weight.  I reached my surgeon's goal at 6 months and lost 15 more pounds after that.  

I still measure EVERYTHING I eat.  If I don't measure I find that portion sizes creep up on me. I NEVER eat more that 1 1/2 cups of food at a meal.  As a former obese person I know that I have a skewed view of what a food portion looks like. Measure out your portion and then STOP EATING!  I eat only until I am satisfied...not full.

I plan my meals/snacks everyday.  I eat 6 small meals daily. .  That averages out to about 3 hours between meals.  If I feel hungry, I remind myself that I will be eating again in a little while.  Hunger is NOT AN EMERGENCY.  You DON'T have to eat when your brain says you are hungry.  Anyone can wait three hours until they eat again.  Don't let "head hunger" get the better of you.

You can do this!!!  Learn all you can and keep yourself accountable by reading OH or get into a support group.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Ladytazz
on 11/24/14 8:17 am

Yeah, I've met a few of those who can eat what they want and not gain their weight back people.  It doesn't seem fair but that's life.

As far as what I do, a little of each.  I plan out what I am going to eat, I avoid things with sugar and gluten, I do have pretty regular eating times and I eat less, not really naturally but because I have restriction and I take advantage of eating protein first to help me get full faster.

I also avoid drinking with meals and 30 minutes after, I don't snack or eat impulsively.  I have a beginning and end to my meals.  As soon as I am finished I set my alarm on my phone for 30 minutes and that helps me put a period on the meal.

I don't really take a bite here or there because then I would have to start the 30 minutes again and I like being able to drink so it works better to have 3 meals a day and some planned snacks.

I try to plan ahead as much as possible if I am going out to eat or to someone's house, like this holiday.  I bring things I know I am okay with and follow my guidelines even though it is a holiday.  

I guess there is a lot more to maintaining them I even realized.  It's all new to me so I am learning every day what works, and it is all subject to change.  I just stay open minded.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/24/14 8:34 am - OH

For me, the key is a combination of portion control and healthy food choices. I don't think you can be successful long term without doing both, and it is often easy to eat too much (meaning more than we NEED to eat) again once the pouch is a "mature" size.

Some people have foods that they no longer allow themselves to eat and they feel that they must do that in order to stay on track. Others, like myself, would not be successful having "forbidden" foods because it is too much like a permanent diet, and so we have to find ways to be able to eat the unhealthy foods only in small amounts and only have them occasionally.  

A lot of people who have been successful eat 5-7 times a day.  It keeps the blood sugar more stable throughout the day and keeps hunger under control (you don't really have a chance to GET hungry when you eat every 3 hours). You just have to be sure to eat smaller meals so you don't consume too many calories.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 11/25/14 6:32 am

I am one of those who has *do not eat* foods.

For example, popcorn and crackers are gateway drugs for me. Once I have some..I keep going and going and going back for more.

I just had to get off the merry-go-round. This surgery is do or die time for me

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/25/14 11:54 am - OH

I think the important things are to

1) recognize that no single way will work for everyone (and that there are many shades of gray in which people can be successful)

2) figure out which type of person you are (and what shade of gray best suits you)

3) realize that EITHER way (and EVERY shade of gray) is hard in one way or another (and requires work) for all of us who have had less than healthy relationships with food

There is no magic wand. :(

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 11/25/14 5:18 pm

Totally agree.

I think we must also be willing to recognize that people and/or cir****tances change...and we must be willing to change with them.

"Roll with the punches" I suppose.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Sherrie P.
on 11/24/14 9:22 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Do you by any chance have PCOS?  Just curious.  You sound like my BFF who struggles.

Unfortunately, I have to quote Dr. Phil on this one... "Well that ain't you."  I try to repeat that over and over to myself when I compare myself to other that can lose weight, eat what they want, have fabulous hair, can sing, you know... have stuff I don't.

You just have to diet.  I thought we had WLS to lose weight and be normal - but normal people watch their diet and intake too... good luck and press on!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 396 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views