4 1/5 months post RNY -Will eating ever feel "normal" again?

Tigerdmw
on 11/26/14 2:25 am
I'm down 62lbs now and have another 50 to go. My body feels like soft mush. I continue to have a LOT of trouble eating. I've had 3 dilations. I'm having HUGE troubles keeping my magnesium up. First time it dropped so low my heart stopped THREE times in two days. Spent a week in ICU. Had it checked last week again and it's still really low. Landed me in the hospital AGAIN, this time just overnight for more IV magnesium. I'm allergic to fish so I can eat magnesium rich foods. But moreover just eating is tough. I force myself to eat 4-5 times a day and I'm still only taking pea sized bites. I can get down between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of food about 3/4 of the time. The rest it's only teaspoons. I have a LOT of trouble eating any kind of meat. No matter how moist. I did eat on a filet for 3 days that was so tender you could cut it with a fork. (If I could just afford that every night!) I find myself eating a lot of corn chips. I dip them in anything I think I can keep down. Spinach, sour cream, refried beans, cheese, hummus, etc and I drink smoothies as often as I can. When we go out to eat, just the thought of a salad makes my stomach churn. I always try new stuff (I steal from hubby's plate) but too often find myself headed for the bathroom barely a minute later. I can't spend the rest of my life eating mashed potatoes and omelettes! Has anyone else been through this? I tell my hubby if I could survive without ever eating again, it would be a blessing!

Lisa W.
on 11/26/14 5:01 am - Denver, CO

I have the same issue i cant eat any kind of meat and also allergic to fish and shellfish im relying on shakes frozen like a frosty only way i can tolerate them ive passed out twice in 2 months lack of protein but im really disturbed i cant get in enough tired of starving hope u find a solution because im having trouble eating too.

Lisa Willis

Tigerdmw
on 11/26/14 7:44 am

EXACTLY!  I hate eating!  I just wish there was something I could tolerate well. 

NYMom222
on 11/27/14 12:00 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Wow, you have really had a rough time. I can't tell you when it will get better, but I think it will. I do want to share two things that helped me. I use Genepro unflavored protein. I buy it on Amazon. This stuff is great. As tasteless as protein powder can be, and doesn't smell funky. The real plus of it is you can mix it directly into hot things... soups, tea, coffee. (it was better in coffee than tea in my opinion) Also 1TBSP= 30g protein. The small volume makes it sooo easy to mix into other items like cottage cheese and yogurt etc. They give you 3 mini-pouches in the bag so you can take it with you. If nothing else if you are in a restaurant you can always order soup, add the protein powder and you have a great meal. I consider soup my safe food when out.  Second, I take magnesium and find the house brand from the Vitamin Shoppe of magnesium glycinate really works for me. I had tried other magnesiums but they really weren't doing anything. I switched to the glycinate because it is supposed to be easier on your digestive system. This brand and type is definitely helping. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Tigerdmw
on 11/27/14 12:14 am

Thank you! I'm going to order some of that protein powder!  Hopefully I can tolerate it.  That taste kills  me.  Make sure you are taking B6 with your Mag, it  helps you absorb more.  I just ordered Jigsaw Magnesium w/SRT,  I joined a Magnesium group and this is what they recommend.  I'm excited to give it a try. They told me a 5mg per pound of body weight.  I have learned SO much there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagnesiumAdvocacy/  Morely, the man that runs it, really knows his stuff. He even talked with over the phone to get me started.  Fingers crossed!  

Worried about eating today though.  Last night I tried some steak and couldn't keep it down.  :(  

NYMom222
on 11/28/14 5:07 am
RNY on 07/23/14

So how did things go for Thanksgiving? I find with steak I cut it the size of a pea almost LOL... also has to be very tender...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Dartmouth
on 11/27/14 12:41 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Steak and other dense meat is tough....I find hamburger meat, slow cooked stews, salmon, tuna much easier to get down....and soups especially with beans...Cannelli, kidney, lentils.  I also add eggs to soups( like egg drop soup) and skim milk powder to puddings, SF hot chocolate made with skimmed milk no****er, and yogurt.....it feels like a mountain you have to climb over, but you will!

joan

Tigerdmw
on 11/27/14 12:53 am

I can't eat fish, allergic.  :(  I try ground meat but have issues with meat period.  This was fillet and a GREAT cut so it was SO tender.  humph  I did make white chili with ground turkey and did ok with it.  You are right, it IS a mountain! I'll tell ya what though, if I knew it would be this bad, I would never have had the surgery.  :(  Of course, ask me in a year and I might have a different answer!  ;)

Mary_SC
on 11/27/14 5:01 am

I'm five years out and no, eating will never be your old normal again. You have a new normal that means small portions and never eating some foods again. Like you, in the first year I think I visited every restaurant bathroom I went to as I learned what my pouch could and couldn't tolerate. I still can't handle more than one bite of steak, it's just too dense a meat for me. Chicken was and still is the easiest for me to digest. Dark greens create too much gas in your pouch so I have to avoid them but beans create gas "further down" and that part of my digestive track works fine. You're only four months out and the first year is the hardest but hang in there, it gets easier as you learn the foods that work for you. 

Tigerdmw
on 11/27/14 10:06 pm

Thanks for the tips Mary!  Thanksgiving dinner was interesting but I kept what I ate down so it was exciting!  I think I have a lot of life adjusting yet to do.  Our family usually snacks when we're together and now my Mom has made an effort not to put things out. I told her it was fine, I'm learning new habits and I've found that a lot of that stuff just doesn't look yummy to me anymore anyway.  Even when everyone was eating pie last night I was fine to just sit there and enjoy the conversation.  

I guess I still have a LOT to learn! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 450 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 410 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views