How do you tolerate salad?

bublegirl1
on 11/23/14 8:39 am
RNY on 11/10/14

When you are on your regular diet, are you able to tolerate salad? Like with chicken breast in it maybe some nuts too. Just curious. Thanks 

-Amie

GodsChildII
on 11/23/14 8:56 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

That was my dinner tonight! Grilled chicken breast on romaine lettuce. I have absolutely no problem at all tolerating salad. In fact I generally have salad at least five days a week for lunch or dinner. Lettuce with corn feed beef, salmon, shrimp or chicken. I can only eat about 1/3 to 1/2 cup but I have no issues at all with salad.

MickeyDee
on 11/23/14 9:11 am

With your surgeon's OK, there's no reason why a nice romaine lettuce with shrimp or chicken and a light vinaigrette wouldn't be OK.  

selhard
on 11/23/14 9:25 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

At about two months, I tried chewing lettuce only to end up with a green ball in my mouth too afraid to swallow.  At three months post-op, my fear of food getting stuck wasn't as intense (rats) and I've been eating lettuce ever since.  I'm not sure how to measure lettuce.  When to try salad is a good question for your NUT, look in your plan book, or assume three months out would be a reasonable suggestion when to try. PS Chicken breast and nuts are a great idea to add to your salad.

bublegirl1
on 11/23/14 9:30 am
RNY on 11/10/14

Thanks. I'll have to ask my surgeon. I don't have a nutritionist this time. This was a a revision and although I used the same surgeon, he is in a different medical group now with different people and so if he has a nutritionist with him I have not been introduced to her at all. And now his office is an hour away from me so I don't see making special trips and appointments to see a nutritionist. His office is inside Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles so it cost an arm and a leg to park there and then the gas to get there and then I have to pay $25 co-pay every time as well. But I will for sure ask him when I see him Wednesday. That will be my first post op appt. 

-Amie

SkinnyScientist
on 11/23/14 4:28 pm

Get in touch with the nut.

Post op, I talk more with the nut via email than I do with the surgeon.

She [i.e. the nut] has been instrumental in helping make receipes better for weight/loss and more bariatric friendly.

She is the one that really pushed yoga for stretching and decrease in injuries. By doign yoga I eventually got the strength that allowed me to plank. Seriously, years of taebo, cardio kick box, abs class, and body pump and I could still not plank. Go to yoga a few times and BAM! I can plank!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

NYMom222
on 11/23/14 11:57 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I was told to wait about 8 weeks, just because it may be hard to digest in the beginning. But I love it now.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

poet_kelly
on 11/23/14 12:01 pm - OH

I tolerate it fine.  Not with chicken breast, since I don't eat meat.  But with nuts, sure.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 11/23/14 4:26 pm

I totally tolerate salad but it is more meat and less lettuce.

After years of dieting, however I am so OVER salad.  Like, if i never eat salad again, I would be totally cool with it

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/14 9:53 pm

I eat salad on a regular basis.I try to buy baby spinach since there is calcium in it. I chew it really good. I try to steer away from cucumbers.

Panera bread has a great poppy seed dressing that is low in calories and is really tasty. I would check with your doctor before eating.Some times things go down well and other times not so well.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics