feedback

Jaime M.
on 11/24/14 9:47 am
RNY on 08/31/15

So I had my consult today,  hoping to have a sleeve,  but doctor recommending the gastric bypass instead given my Comorbidity issues.  I'm nervous because the only people I know with this surgery are in their 60's and not in great health. I really want to do this for my own health and really liked my consult doctor, just scared. Any positive experiences and reasons you love your bypass?  Looking for good choices!  :)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/24/14 10:39 am - OH

There may be some medical conditions that make RNY a better choice for you physically. Some surgeons, however, routinely recommend RNY for everyone based only on somewhat arbitrary criteria (a certain BMI or a history of diabetes). 

I had RNY and have done well with it, but if I were making the decision now (sleeve wasn't an option 8 years ago), I wouldn't trade 12-18 months of temporary caloric malabsorption for a lifetime of lack of vitamin absorption (not to mention the increased incidence of kidney stones and reactive hypoglycemia) with the RNY and would opt for the sleeve instead.  

There really isnt much information on what happens to RNYers/DSers once they reach an age where the body's ability to absorb nutrients naturally declines.  Keep in mind, though, that the people you are seeing in their 60s who lost weight but still have health issues may not have had their WLS until they had already lived a significant portion of their life being MO or SMO and therefore have medical issues that are a result of being heavy for so long.

If the surgeon you have seen is reluctant to do the sleeve, perhaps you should also have a consultation with another surgeon.  YOU are the one who has to live with your decision, not your doctor.  It is your body, so be sure you get teh surgery that you believe is best for you overall.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

knolmom
on 11/24/14 11:08 am

During my initial consult with the surgeon, she felt that a sleeve would be my best option because of my age, BMI and cardio- pulmonary problems. After they discovered GERD a and the beginning of Barrett's Esophagus during the required Endoscopy, the game plan changed. While my surgeon said the bypass was not the ideal surgery for me, it Definately more doable and would have a more favorable outcome for my diabetes, my overall weight loss amount, and my GERD. She explained that the sleeve us contraindicated when GERD damage is present. I was not pleased, but I am saying a prayer and going with the RNY.

Jaime M.
on 11/24/14 12:30 pm
RNY on 08/31/15

I'm in the same boat. Gerd with Barrett's. Also given my history of a lap band erosion surgeon feels that my scar tissue might be a risk with sleeve versus bypass. I plan on doing a lot of thought and research before proceeding either way. Surgeon let me know that others in his practice might be inclined to give me a sleeve and just follow me closely. They offered a free second opinion from someone else in their practice. Which I thought was nice. They also had a whole binder with information to take home and have already made me more comfortable than my previous surgeon. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/24/14 6:38 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I'm not 60, and I'm only 10 months out -- but I can tell you that I'm definitely healthier than I was before surgery.  In fact, I'm healthier than I can ever remember being.  Before surgery, I was insulin dependent diabetic, had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, neuropathy, high cholesterol, fatty liver and protein in my urine.  All of those things have resolved and I now run 3K several times a week.  

I no longer take any meds except for vitamins. I am not a vet, so I'm hoping that being diligent will help prevent any malabsorption issues. Time will tell. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

yankeescl
on 11/24/14 9:47 pm
RNY on 09/12/13

I am 14 1/4 months out and am 56 ears old.  I am healthier now than I ever remember being.  I was on 3 blood pressure meds, a heart regulating med and medication for GERD.  I no longer take any of those, just vitamins.  I love my RNY and would do it again in a heartbeat.  I wish I had done it when I was younger!  Best wishes!

Nola68
on 11/25/14 1:40 am

I am 67, had rny on 7/22/14.  I had wanted the sleeve but because I have medicare they would only cover rny or band.  I had terrible heartburn before surgery, when I turned over at night I would feel the burn as it coated my esophagus.  I did not have an endoscopy before surgery, when he got in there I had a bad hiatal hernia which he repaired.  I have not had heartburn since, I am off 2 blood pressure meds and I feel really great and have so much more energy. 

67 Years old - HW 252 - SW 231 - CW 149 - GOAL 145  RNY 7/22/2014

Jaime M.
on 11/25/14 2:25 am
RNY on 08/31/15

Thank you everyone for your feedback and sharing your experiences.  I am definitely feeling on the more positive side of this and truly think it will be the best thing for me to do.  I also did my own research last night (I am an RN, so I do have a certain degree of medical behind me) and found the studies he was referring to about sleeve being overwhelmingly contraindicated in people with Barrett's esophagus.  I'm moving forward with the program (I have to do about 6 months worth with my insurance I believe) and am hoping to have my surgery next May, just in time for my 37th birthday.  Very excited and very motivated.

I previously was a hard core soccer player and am no stranger to fitness.  With an 8 month old son at home and my desire to do this for him and my spouse, I am motivated and still think it will be the best thing for me.  Here's to the journey!!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 11/25/14 5:40 am

I just thought I would chime in to the peanut gallery too. Dr. Kaufman was the surgeon who fixed my hiatal hernia when I had my RnY. That was back before he started doing wls. I liked him.

The other thing I wanted to say is about Barrett's esophagus. My understanding is that sometimes GERD is worsened after the sleeve, which of course would be a huge problem with Barrett's. Of course, there are people who have GERD after RnY, but I think the incidence is lower.

Either surgery you decide on, good luck.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

knolmom
on 11/26/14 2:50 am

What I was told about the sleeve and Barrets esophagus is that if you have the sleeve surgery as opposed to the RNY, and then your Barrett's later progresses to esophageal cancer, the part of your stomach that is removed during the sleeve surgery is the part that they would use to repair/ replace a part of your esophagus that might have be removed. I guess the tissue is similar. Although I don't even have any areas of dysplasia, which is the mildest type ofBarrett's , my surgeon said she could not do it. I asked if she could recommend someone who would, she said no, it is just not done. While there may be someone out there who would, I chose to go with her determination that my choice would either be " Crap Band" or RNY.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 522 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 262 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics