Vitamins

angel91e
on 11/29/14 1:39 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I don't hold down my vitamins well and so since surgery I've had to get vitamin shots from my surgeon's office to ensure that my supplement needs are met.  I am hoping to find a way to be able to be more independent so what I'm looking for is recommendations on good brands of chewable vitamins. Cost or number of tablets needed to get my requirements in aren't that important to me as long as I can figure out a way to be sure I'm getting everything I need.  

All reccomendations are appreciated.  Thanks in advance 

Angel

poet_kelly
on 11/29/14 8:16 am - OH

Can you get shots that have all the vitamins we need in them?  I've heard of B12 shots but not calcium shots or a multivitamin shot.

For a chewable multi, Centrum or Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage or Building Blocks are all fine.

Any chewable calcium citrate is fine.

Any sublingual B12 is fine, or you can use the nasal spray, or shots.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

angel91e
on 11/29/14 10:02 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I'm assuming whatever the surgeon is giving me is adequate.  I work in the nursing field myself but it's easier to go to the surgeons office for such things since they can run my blood work afterward to be sure I'm adequately absorbing it.

If you had to pick one of those reccomendations which one would you personally start out trying first?

I really want to get this on a more even keel. I really want to get a good routine down I can set up as a life long habit.

Angel

poet_kelly
on 11/29/14 12:29 pm - OH

Celebrate has a sample packet you can get for just $3.  I think Bariatric Advantage has something similar.  So I'd order samples of both those and see what you like.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

angel91e
on 11/29/14 10:15 am
RNY on 01/15/14

But to be more exact some of what they have to give me isn't "shot form" it's added to an IV bag of fluids or TPN (liquid IV nutrition) which is one of the big reasons I would really like to try and find a more stable long term solution.  

I really appreciate the reccomendations if I can find one I can tolerate well it will make a big improvement for me.  I have always said that the help from this support network is top notch.  

Angel

poet_kelly
on 11/29/14 12:29 pm - OH

Oh, OK.  Yeah, I wouldn't want to be on TPN forever, either.  What is your surgeon's recommendation?

selhard
on 11/29/14 12:26 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Easy to find in most stores, easy to chew, and easy to find on sale:  Centrum Silver chewables 60-count bottle for $8.99.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/29/14 11:29 pm - OH

You might try taking your vitamins with more liquid so you wash them well through the pouch and into the intestine where they are much less likely to cause upset (and cannot be thrown up).

I have taken Centrum chewables, Centrum Silver chewables, and Celebrate chewables as well as regular Centrum tablets.  I tied Bariatric Advantage chewables but couldn't stand the flavor (and didn't like the cost, either).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 385 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views