Question About Cold Medicine?!?!

andy M.
on 11/30/14 1:22 pm - fairfax, VA
with

Hello all you RNY'ers. How is everyone doing today/tonight? I am starting to come down with the flu/cold, and i have a question for you guys (and ladies). I was wondering if there is a certain type of cold medicine I should take and what one's should i definitely avoid (My doctors office is closed, its midnight where I am, I will call them tomorrow morning, i was just asking for advice right now since i am on). I know since I had surgery that I am only supposed to take tylenol now post op (No ibuprofen, Advil, etc...) So i was curious what type of cold medicine should I take (this is my first winter, post op, and i never thought to ask that question, since having a cold never crossed my mind at the time). So if any of you "old" timers could help a newbie out, i would greatly appreciate it!   ---Andy---

Sandie E.
on 11/30/14 2:41 pm, edited 11/30/14 2:41 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Depends on the symptoms but sudafed, mucinex, robitussin, etc... Nothing of course with NSAIDs and nothing extended release. I just went though some stuff a few weeks ago. Hope this helps!

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Han Shot First
on 11/30/14 10:36 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I'm glad to see this list, because we have most of it already.  Robitussin makes a sugar free version, and I've used it for years. 

My usual go-to for cold season is Nyquil, but between the alcohol and the sugar, I think I'll go with the liquid caps.  I did search on here and see many people use the regular liquid Nyquil, and some of their doctors tell them it's fine, but I don't want to test my dumping tolerance with the 13g of sugar in one dose.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Sandie E.
on 11/30/14 10:54 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Ya I'm with you! Dumping is not something I would intentionally like to do. As long as you look at ingredients and make sure they meet the criteria you are good. Hope you feel better!

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

andy M.
on 12/1/14 2:56 pm - fairfax, VA
with

Thanks guys for the replies, I really appreciated. I figured i would be fine as long as i checked the ingredients and made sure they are all in range of the numbers i need. But i figured I would ask you veterans anyways. I figured if anyone would know what works the best it would be you guys. I actually took some type of Tylenol cold and sinus and it worked good so far. I work 3rd shift, so i took it while I was at home to see how it went before I take it at work.(Make sure I didn't dump, get really drowsy or anything else).   ---Andy---

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 233 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?