Dumping!

Gohopchick
on 12/1/14 8:29 am - United Kingdom

Hey there everybody.  I had surgery last Wednesday.  I'm trying to get protein in, but having problems.  I'm lactose intolerant, and find that I can't tolerate the whey protein isolate either.  I started a vegan protein shake, and mixing it with unsweetened soy milk, but 3/4 cup of it caused me to dump!  Is it because I drank too much?  I sipped slowly.  Would appreciate your help and advice.  Feeling pretty miserable and nowhere near my protein goals.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/1/14 10:15 am

Unless the veg proteins have sugar or lost of simple carbs - you probably did not dump... You may have some intolerance to some of the ingredients.  But dumping is really caused by too much sugar. Or sugar alcohols. 

Maybe it was too thick, or you have allergy to something in the mix. 

I am allergic to soy, and I get sick, get runs, gas, and or nausea.... But I dump on sugar. Big difference....

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Chilipepper
on 12/1/14 10:49 am

Soy is garbage unless it's fermented.  Try egg protien. Jay Robb makes one. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

bublegirl1
on 12/1/14 10:50 am
RNY on 11/10/14
Have you tried unsweetened almond milk?

-Amie

Chilipepper
on 12/1/14 11:44 am

I love unsweetend almond milk and now Diamond brand has an unsweetend almond with coconut. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NYMom222
on 12/1/14 11:47 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I had a lot of runs early on... you are very early out. May just be the natural course of things no matter what you do. I wasn't normal until I started eating  food not just liquid soft mush... are you taking anything for the lactose intolerance?

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Gohopchick
on 12/1/14 11:49 am - United Kingdom

It was clammy skin, heart palpitations, and then vomiting....

JenniPenny
on 12/1/14 11:49 am - MN

If you're only a week out you can't get all your protein in at first. When I was a newbie I was able to get in  about 3 Tablespoons maybe per meal. Nowhere near 3/4 cup. You may be putting too much in. Find something without milk -see what your doctor says. You shouldn't be dumping this early out and still need to get in as much nutrition as possible. Do you have a nutritionist? They could help you plan each meal to fit your needs.

Jen RNY 2001

Gohopchick
on 12/1/14 11:51 am - United Kingdom

thanks.  it could definitely have been a volume issue.  I have an appointment at the clinic Thursday and will problem solve with them..

charminglearner
on 12/1/14 2:34 pm
RNY on 10/27/14

At that point I was 30 ml every 15 minutes.  No more, no faster.  Two tablespoons every fifteen minutes gave my pouch time to digest.

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views