Fluctuating weight?

Melissa H.
on 12/2/14 2:32 am

Hey friends! I am 5 and a half months out from RNY. I've lost about 91 pounds. Within the last 2 to 3 weeks I've noticed that the scale will read that I lost 2lbs and then gain a pound back a day or 2 later, then lose 2 more lbs and gain another lb back. (Which has now lead to me weighing myself more often now because I'm confused on the fluctuating numbers) Has this happened to anyone else? In my mind I guess I would continue to lose at a slower rate the further I get out... however, to me 5 months is a bit soon? Any feedback would be helpful. 

Sarahakers11
on 12/2/14 2:42 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

I saw this a lot.  It wasnt till I used the numbers strictly as data points but looked over a longer period I would see i was still losing quite quickly.  Also my numbers would change based on everything from hydration, sleep, hormones, sometimes it felt like even the weather.  If it makes you nutty I would weigh so much...if you can just look at it as a data point its easier.   I would write my weight down every day but it was really over a month that I would consider how much I had lost.  Even wehn it felt like I wasnt losing much it all it turned out I was losing 10 - 12lbs a month...which is good

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Melissa H.
on 12/2/14 2:50 am, edited 12/2/14 2:52 am

It really is maddening! Haha. And because it recently started happening I'm thinking to myself "what the heck is going on?" Around what month did this start happening to you? I know everyone is different but it's just nice to know in the long run. I honestly didn't think that this would start happening until I was a little farther down the road - 5 months seemed a bit soon to me. I am thankful to continue losing and I feel fantastic which is all that really matters in the end. Obviously everyone would love to hit their goal weight. I have about 30 more pounds I'd like to lose before I hit where I'd like to see myself at. 

Sarahakers11
on 12/2/14 3:13 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

It started about 5 - 6 months I think.  While i did have the down and up I never really had the "stall" everyone talks about.  Over the course of each month I had always lost.  So I guess in the end I was about the same as everyone else as far as loss

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

joansch
on 12/2/14 2:44 am

It's perfectly normal. Your body is adjusting to the weight loss and the changes in your eating. Many people will tell you not to weigh yourself every day. I think it depends on what works for you. I've learned over many years of trying all different diets that I feel best when I weigh myself every day. I always see daily fluxuations in weight, but seeing them daily makes me not freak out so much. I tried weighing myself weekly, monthly, and not at all. During those times, if I stepped on the scale and didn't see a number I was expecting (up or down), I would often go into a tailspin. By noting the daily fluxuations and seeing that they are normal, it keeps me from obsessing over a particular number.

So, don't worry. Your body is normal and adjusting. Find a way of weighing yourself that works for you, and don't treat the scale as a litmus test for how you're feeling. It's just a number, and only one way to track your progress.

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

Melissa H.
on 12/2/14 2:57 am

Thanks for responding, Joan! I like to weight myself every couple of days or so. It makes me feel like I'm keeping on track and documenting the number on the scale. I know this a huge adjustment on anyone's body, I keep  habing to remind myself. And really, all that matters is how you feel... and right now, I feel great. 

NYMom222
on 12/2/14 6:55 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Even though I weigh myself everyday i record it only once a week, and then once a month on my anniversary. This way I see the trend, without getting caught up in the day to day fluctuations.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views