Running

Annakay76
on 11/30/14 12:14 am

I'm still doing my preop requirements, I have 2 left before it goes to insurance company for approval. Up until this year have been running half marathons for the past 5 years. Will I be able to do them again postop? I figured I'd have to learn what I can drink/eat for hydration and fuel. It's something my husband and I enjoy doing together, my son even ran one today with my husband! 

karenp8
on 11/30/14 12:41 am - Brighton, IL

Lots of people run after surgery.I have had knee replacements so I can't run but I do walk 5ks really fast. I can guarantee your times will be better once some of the weight is gone. You will be amazed how much easier every thing becomes. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery too!

Browneyedgirl33
on 11/30/14 8:34 am

I am hoping the same  I am 14 day RNY post op.  I really hope I can workout and run like I used to for sure.  I am sure you feel like me when you gain the weight after being used to working out so much it is very depressing to say the least.  Hopefully we will both be able to run and enjoy it again.  I sure hope so.  Good luck!!

Grandmaneice
on 11/30/14 9:39 am
RNY on 03/24/14

I never ran before, but would walk before I had my surgery.  Now 8 months later and 108 lbs lighter, I can jog on my walks I take.  Never could of done that before!

SkinnyScientist
on 11/30/14 12:57 pm

Hi!  I feel that I can speak to this!

Yes you can!  Go over to the exercise forum and there is a girl over there who just became an ULTRA MILER trail runner (i.e. that is about 51 continuous miles on a trail in 12 hours or less).  She achieved this feat AFTER weight loss surgery. She went from about 300 lbs to an ultra-marathoner.

For myself-when I was thin in my 20s I ran 5-10Ks. My 5K times were dismal (45-48 minutes).  I couldnt figure out why (I was living off of green beans, apples, and beer (only 3 times a week)).  Then I became MO in my late 20s-late 30s.

I had my RNY surgery on 12/31/2014.  My 08/2014 I felt strong (and bored) enough to give a 5K a try. I was surprised to find that I could run 5K AND do it in 42 minutes. This was BETTER than my real 5K runs in my 20s at 142 lbs (and living off of green beans).

My first 5K race was 36:45 and my second 5K race a month later was 34:07.  I am OLDER and faster despite being still "fatter."

I think you will be very pleased when you get back to half marathoning.

NOte: it took about 4 months before I could exercise intensely.  I almost fainted a few times in yoga and body pump in the first 4 months. I just walked during this time, the weight flew off, and my body adjusted.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 534 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 264 views