Heavy Weights!

Jill724
on 12/4/14 2:07 am
RNY on 07/24/14

I am just over 4 months out from RNY. I started at 351 and today I am down to 281. I am simply elated! The big goal I have set for my self is 190, which I think is totally acceptable. One of my shorter term goals is to have lost 50% of my excess weight by the 6 month mark, which would be 80lbs by January 24th. I will meet this goal with no problem. In your opinion is my goal too 'easy'? This may seem like a dumb question to ask, but I want to know your opinions...because I started out so large, should my goals be better? Should I give myself 'bigger' goals? What do you all think???

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/4/14 2:50 am - OH

What your goal weight "should" be depends a lot on your individual body type and build.  You don't even tell us how tall you are.  If you are only 5'2" tall, then, yes, a goal weight of 190 is FAR too conservative; if you are 6' tall, though, that would be a horse of a different color!  How muscular you are and your bone structure play a big role as well.

Many people look at the BMI chart and see what weight would put them at a normal weight for their height and use that as an initial goal weight.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jill724
on 12/4/14 3:55 am
RNY on 07/24/14

Sorry, Lora! Your totally correct I need to give more info! 

I am 5'5... And have a petite body structure. I feel like I have no muscle!! Knowing that of course isn't true! 

I have looked at the BMI charts, but I feel like the numbers are absurd... At 190 the BMI chart still puts me at "overweight". I haven't discussed a goal with my surgeon, but I have my PCP. He believes my goal is acceptable. However, opinions from the vets are greatly appreciated!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/4/14 9:57 am - OH

Most people –– most, but not all –- find setting a goal weight that is at the very top of the normal BMI for their height is attainable (unless they start at a very high BMI or have some type of physical characteristic that would cause them to weigh more (very muscular, etc.)).

Keep in mind that a goal doesn't have to be static. You can change it as you go. I personally recommend the people select a conservative go away to begin with, and then revised downward needed. That way, you don't experience any negative psychological repercussions from setting a goal weight that was too aggressive (it has been so sad when I have had clients who have lost a tremendous amount of weight but then beat themselves up mentally because they didn't reach that completely arbitrary number!), and you can have the joy of revising your goal downward if the go you sent was too conservative! That is a win-win scenario IMO.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/5/14 2:25 am

What LORA said is right on.

Muscle mass matters too. For example, by some insurance charts my 150-151 lbs is still overweight.

By body fat percentage (i.e. 17.7-20.8), I am considered LEAN, wear sizes 6/8, and was told by 3 separate people in ONE HOUR yesterday that I am getting too skinny.

At 150 I am smaller (in clothes size) than I was "untrained/unexercised" at 142 lbs in my 20s.

Goals are weird things...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

HFA70
on 12/4/14 4:22 am

A goal that is attainable is important to your success.  It is also one that can be reset.  My original goal was 150.  When I hit 150, I wanted to lose another 5 lbs, I wanted to have a maintainable goal weight as well.  At 5' that still puts me in an "overweight" category on the BMI charts.  I think I'd have to be 128 in order to be "average."

When I spoke to my dietician, she said 145 was an acceptable weight.  I look and feel great!

Don't worry too much about the charts and what is "normal."  You'll know when you get there.

Good luck!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/4/14 10:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Most people set a goal and revise it downward a little as they get closer. As Lora said, you don't want to set an unrealistic goal and be miserable when you can't achieve it. But you also want to set a goal you have to work to reach.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sherrie P.
on 12/4/14 11:49 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I think your goal weight is too high. Push yourself. Sure you can revise it - but why not aim high!! Or low as the case may be ;-)

I set 15 pound goals, and every time I lost 15 pounds I got to go by a Pandora bead. Each one was a different color. 

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

NYMom222
on 12/4/14 3:37 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Good for you! We have similar numbers. (Although I am 5'11") I do have an overall goal that I kind of set arbitrarily... just wanted to be in the 'normal' category. My Surgeon and his wife (who also works in the office) basically say after the insurance approval they throw out the BMI chart. As patients get closer that is when they set a goal. I have set little goals for myself along the way. I figure it will keep me motivated. Some people like to build in a little natural re-bound weight for when they try to maintain. I am early out so I don't know if that's a smart idea or not.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Jill724
on 12/5/14 12:55 am
RNY on 07/24/14

Thanks so much for all the responses. I think I will just take one step at a time. I just want to reach a goal that is reachable, but not too easy ;)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views