Iron, Question

browneyes65
on 12/6/14 9:50 am - IN

Does anyone just take their Multivitamin with Iron and no extra iron ? My dietitian said just take the Multi with no extra iron. I take 2 family Wellness 18 mg each, I'm only suppose to take extra when on period she said. I have to say so far I have not listened because I'm afraid it will get real low but what do I tell the Dietitian when i go back next month because I still take extra ? should I listen to her? I have not had ferritan checked yet but will soon before I go back next month it will be a year since surgery.

Ali Shepherd
on 12/6/14 10:24 am - Smyrna, TN

you need only 18 mg a day of iron. absolutely multivitamins is not going to be enough because most of them will have less than that 

I don't know you age but Adolescent and adult females need 10–15 mg a day ( pregnant 30 mg/day). 

Also, if you have no kidney problems them don't worry about taking too much, because your body will excrete what don't need. it is very important to take Iron with vitamin C in together, to enhance iron absorption. and remember to take is as capsule, chewable, or sublingual (no tablets). and keep it 4 hrs apart from calcium dose

poet_kelly
on 12/6/14 9:39 pm - OH

The ASMBS say that menstruation women who had RNY need 54 to 63 mg of iron a day and that all other RNY folks need 36 mg a day.  18 mg is unlikely to be enough.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mybratboys3
on 12/6/14 2:12 pm

funny, my surgeon told me all I have to take is a Flintstone vitamin every day? 

poet_kelly
on 12/6/14 9:41 pm - OH

Wow, that's scary.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says RNY patients need TWO adult multivitamins a day (the specifically say to avoid children's vitamins that are incomplete), 1500 mg calcium citrate, iron and B12.  I'd ask your surgeon why he disagrees with the ASMBS guidelines.  And I'd read the guidelines for yourself and see what you think.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 12/6/14 9:42 pm - OH

I would tell her you are taking more iron than that.  Tell her what you take and why.  I would just say"Well, the ASMBS says I should take 54 to 63 mg iron a day, so that's what I take," or something like that.

And gosh, no, just the iron in that multi (the same multi I use) would not be nearly enough for me.  Based on my labs, I take 300 mg carbonyl iron a day in addition to my multis.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 299 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics