a

Zonechef
on 12/9/14 1:15 pm, edited 12/16/14 9:12 am
RNY on 12/03/14

a

Emiepie
on 12/9/14 1:29 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

You got this! You're almost through week 1 so don't turn back now :)

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Dartmouth
on 12/9/14 3:22 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I think quitting smoking when you did is a great idea but a hard one!

when I quit smoking, I just kept saying to myself....just a day at a time...(sometimes a half an hour at a time)...and I would say...if I am still feeling this bad in an hour, I will think about giving in and then go and do something...take a walk, go shopping, call a friend,, cook, watch a TV program. And usually the feeling would pass.....it comforted me to know that if I went crazy wanting a smoke I could...and I never did!  

Good luck!

Ladytazz
on 12/9/14 6:23 pm

I can't believe your surgeon even operated on you if you were smoking.  Most won't and some even do a nicotine test before surgery.

I hope I don't sound like I am judging you because I'm not.  I was also smoking when I had my revision.  My surgeon never would have considered operating but it was pretty close to an emergency situation.  Even so, my oxygen stats dropped like a rock after surgery and I really thought I was going to die, or be brain damaged.

My intention was to quit after being in the hospital but that didn't last long living with a smoker.  I quit on and off for the next few years and I finally quit for good (I hope!) about a year and a half ago.  I've quit a lot of things but smoking has been the hardest.

I didn't even quit for my health, although that is certainly a benefit.  I quit because I just couldn't afford it any longer.  I am doing so much better financially now that I'm not burning up $300 a month on cigarettes.  I smoked like I ate, all I could manage.  It was not a cheap habit.

Good luck to you.  I know you can do it.  I got an E cig and it really helped with the cravings.  I have a lot of friends who were long time smokers who quit with them as well.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/9/14 9:01 pm

Praying for you for sure!!  I know that is hard.  I am having a hard time because I cant have food or wine at this point lol  I loved my wine on weekends when I cooked and watched movies with the girls. Not the same as smoking I know but definitely have my moments of missing it for sure.  But I know my health is better without the wine too so I just focus on that and the money I am saving from not buying it anymore. You can do this..... It is hard but you will feel so much better in the end. And you will expand your years of life and that is what is most important to all of us is living a good healthy life for as long as we can.  Good Luck!! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/14 9:10 pm

You can do this.You have to.You can get an ulcer from smoking.I am not being bossy.You had the surgery to get healthier.Try to think about that.

This is not an easy thing to do but it is doable. Take one moment at a time.You deserve to get healthy and feel good.When the weight drops off you will be able to do so many things that you couldn't before.

So think about if you still smoked even though you were thinner you still would be out of breath.Just remember you are a strong person and you do not need a cigarette.

Take care

Lady_bugg
on 12/9/14 10:22 pm, edited 12/9/14 10:23 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

Maybe this fact will help... of the preventable causes of death, smoking is #1 and obesity is #2. So what would be the point of everything you are going through related to WLS if it doesn't improve your life expectancy. 

I am also an ex smoker who had quit for 15 years and started again. (This time I have been quit for 2 years) So I remember how it feels to regret ever picking up a cigarette again. Try to focus on that feeling and use it to push through this next week. You can do this! You have done it before so you know that you have the strength and willpower to do it again. 

Much luck to you. Keep us posted everyday on how you are doing. 

mdaggett
on 12/9/14 10:24 pm
RNY on 11/19/14

I know this is going to sound a little out there but I quit smoking a couple of years ago by meditating.  I would suggest looking into it.  I didn't meditate on quitting smoking I just learned how to clear my mind which removed the urge for the cigarettes all together.  You can do this it is all a mental game.  Don't risk getting an ulcer in your pouch.  Take care of yourself.  

Michele

http://stuffmybrainthinks.com/

H/W 297 S/W 244 C/W 234 G/W 148

Zonechef
on 12/9/14 11:15 pm
RNY on 12/03/14
karenp8
on 12/9/14 11:49 pm - Brighton, IL

You can do this Zonechef. You really need to stay smoke free because of the risk of ulcers. My surgeon will not do surgery on a smoker for just that reason. He does a nicotine test prior to surgery too. I know it's tough. My husband is right there with you as he is quitting now too. He has held on for three weeks without a cigarette now. He is using the nicotene lozenges to help him but I know it is not easy. Just take it one step at a time and find other things to do when you want to smoke. We're all here cheering for you too!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 215 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 373 views
Recent Topics