How many carbs are you allowed a day?

MichelleNC
on 12/9/14 1:01 am

Hi everyone! It has been awhile since I have been on here but I have decided for maintenance reasons I NEED YOU ALL! I hope I can offer support to the newbies.

So my surgeon said max 40 grams of carbs a day. I am just curious what other surgeons recommend.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/9/14 2:12 am, edited 12/9/14 2:12 am - OH

Many surgeons don't give a specific number. My surgeon was one of those. The only number I was ever given was the protein goal and the emphasis was on making well-rounded healthy, protein forward food choices.  My surgeon said that if we followed the food choice guidelines, the calories and carbs and fat would take care of themselves. And she was right!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/9/14 5:26 am

I wonder if it is because most junk food is so carb heavy. Like thing about it it..bread, crackers, chips, candy bars...all very carby.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/9/14 9:56 am - OH

Well, that and the fact that not all carbs are created equal. Dairy, beans, and veggies are all good food choices but all of them also have carbs... And a lot of us get a fair number of carbs AND protein from dairy products and beans.  

I probably couldn't get all 75g of protein in with only 40g of carbs because I eat a fair amount of Greek yogurt and cheese, and the yogurt has between 10g (vanilla) and 20g of carbs per serving container.

Lora

Browneyedgirl33
on 12/9/14 3:12 am

My nutritionist said 21 grams of protein per meal.  no more then 20-30 carb per meal in the maintenance stage

GodsChildII
on 12/9/14 4:07 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

My surgeon did not give a carb goal. However I made my own personal goal of no more than 30. Some days I do great other days not so great. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/9/14 9:59 am - OH

That is very low.  Your body (your brain!) needs carbs to function properly.  What do you use to get in your protein?  I ask because many of the common sources of protein (Greek yogurt, beans, cheese) have carbs that would be almost impossible to fit into your carb limit.

Lora

GodsChildII
on 12/9/14 10:35 am, edited 12/9/14 10:35 am - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14
On December 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

That is very low.  Your body (your brain!) needs carbs to function properly.  What do you use to get in your protein?  I ask because many of the common sources of protein (Greek yogurt, beans, cheese) have carbs that would be almost impossible to fit into your carb limit.

Lora

Primier protein Shake 5 total grams of carbs ( 30 G protein)

Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt 8 total grams of carbs  (12 G protein)

generally 6 oz of steak 0 total carbs( 42 G protein) 3 oz of steak for lunch with lettuce with Parmesan cheese and 3 oz at dinner

or 3.5 oz of grilled chicken breast 0 carbs (30 G protein)

sometimes for lunch I will have a 4oz grass feed ground beef patty with cheddar cheese 0 carbs (28 G of protein).

i live in Seattle and eat some form of seafood daily (grilled shrimp, salmon, or other form of fish)

Honestly the list goes on and on. I don't have a problem getting in my protein but I really try and limit my carbs. Some days I do well other days not so well!

chulbert
on 12/9/14 9:38 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

My surgeon does not give a guideline on the number of carbs per day.  His plan is at least 60g of protein, low fat, and low sugar.  Emphasize whole and minimally processed foods.

NYMom222
on 12/9/14 10:51 am
RNY on 07/23/14

My doc doesn't talk carbs either. Even though I am not on maintenance, at the support group there are many people on maintenance and they still don't count carbs per se. Basically he says- Protein first, then veggies and if you have room fruit and other carbs.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views