advice please...liquids for 5 weeks!

catalina07
on 12/12/14 12:53 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I had my surgery 11/20. My surgeon says 3 weeks of liquid then on to soft food stage. We are instructed not to advance our diet until we have had our follow up appointment.  Problem is, I was 3 weeks yesterday and they couldnt give me an appointment until a week later. That will make four weeks post op liquid diet PLUS the one week pre op...thats a full 5 weeks of liquids! Its getting harder and harder to resist moving on to soft foods on my own. Is it really necessary to wait? Are they going to do something special that will make advancing my diet possible that it's not possible now? It's kinda frustrating to have to wait an extra week. Any advice?

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Zonechef
on 12/12/14 12:59 pm
RNY on 12/03/14

Don't be shy. Call the office and tell them exactly what you told us that the surgeon said you would be on soft food after 3 weeks and that your appointment was made for 4 weeks out. Odds are they will allow you to start it when originally indicated. Many Doctors whole not wanting you to start the next stage too early also have the same misgivings of you not starting the next stage on time.

Lady_bugg
on 12/12/14 4:41 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

Yes call. Likely they will let you progress if you have had no problems with the full liquids. 

catalina07
on 12/12/14 9:37 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Thanks guys. I actually had called a couple weeks ago when I realized that the apointment was for 4 weeks and not 3. They told me that they couldn't move it because of something about someone not being in the office at my 3 week and they are only there on Wednesdays...I was pretty upset about that. They said "well it's really only 6 more days" ugh! Maybe they should try not eating for 4 weeks and see how they feel about "6 more days" lol. And this is full liquid. No eggs, no soft veggies like I have heard others can have. Pure liquid. 5 weeks. So hard. 

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Grim_Traveller
on 12/13/14 2:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is another aspect of this that people usually miss. It's important to be able to follow a plan, and follow instructions. Some rationalize that "another program lets them eat x y or z, and have it at 3 weeks instead of 4, so that's ok for me to do." Those people always find shortcuts, and end up sabotaging themselves.

Plans are different. But you only have one that you should follow. And it is only 6 days. A few months from now, you won't even remember it.

Work your plan. Learn new discipline, new habits. It will pay off, I promise.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

birdiegirl
on 12/13/14 10:50 pm

This is great advice from Grim.  The psyche aspect of this is so important - being able to commit and follow a plan - however inconvenient or difficult you may find it at the time.

Yeah 5 weeks of liquids is tough - so is eating mushy food for a week or two - and avoiding simple carbs and sugar - and watching your calories as you progress thru the years....its all damn tough.

But - to me what is really tough - is having this last chance surgery - and then maybe screwing up.  Devastating.  A healthy dose of fear is a good thing in my mind.

Try and go with the flo -  there are going to be other decisions you will have to make as you progress that will determine your ultimate outcome and happiness with your new life.

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/13/14 8:38 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Grim has just given you excellent advice.  This time period - pre-op and the few months post-op are all blips on the radar screen once you are at goal.  Follow your plan.  Six days is not a big deal in the Big Picture.  You can do this - you should do this.  You are worth the extra effort it takes you to see it through.  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views