Describe how you feel when your pouch is full

Lady_bugg
on 12/12/14 4:40 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

I just started pureed foods 2 days ago. So far I have mashed scrambled egg and refried beans. Both times I stopped before I really felt full because I just am afraid that I don't know how to read those body signals yet. I have heard of that "one extra bite and it all comes up story" so I am scared of that happening. 

I know everyone is different, but can you explain what it feels like for you? 

SkinnyScientist
on 12/12/14 8:28 pm

First- it is good you stopped early rather than later. My surgeons plan was VERY particular about the quantity of food I could eat early on. In my case...it was just a quarter cup of food eaten VERY slowly and I could stop if I felt full.

Full/restriction for me feels different at different times.  It normally feels like a constriction under my rib cage. Like a boa-contrictor is squeezing something. However, if I ate too fast then it feels like something is "stuck" in my esphogagus.

Before and after surgery my big STOP signal has always been hiccups. I dont know why. But even when MO, if I ate too much, I got the hiccups. If I think I am going to hiccup, I know I have gone too far.

EArly after your surgery, nerves may not be working correctly due to surgical trama, stapleing, cutting and etc.   Many of the Vets will tell you that they felt fuller with smaller amounts 6 months after surgery than they did immediately after surgery..probably because their nerves are coming back online...

So stay in the food guidelines (amounts and types). Eat slowly ..and remember it is OK to stop i you feel full even if it is less than what your surgeon recommended. For example, I get the hiccups off a quarter cup of steak (so I stop). However, I can eat a whole half cup of sliced cucumbers with hummus or tazhiki no problem!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

NinaCanDOit
on 12/13/14 12:49 am
RNY on 06/27/14

I feel full as an almost bloated feeling right about mid torso, above my waistline, accompanied by a series of light burps.  It's rare that I get there because my tummy will actually gurgle a bit as I approach satiety, so I know to stop.  

I am well used to these signals by now.  They have been the same since I transitioned from liquids to soft foods after surgery. 

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

HFA70
on 12/13/14 4:19 am

I didn't feel full so early on.  My nose would run and I would get the hiccups.  Even now 14 months out, I still go by the same signs.  It is true that not listening to your body can cause you embarassing bodily functions.  However, I do feel hunger now and try to stop eating prior to the onset of the full signs.

Han Shot First
on 12/13/14 11:10 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

For me, I don't have a full feeling unless I've already eaten a little too much.  I've never had something come back up, but when I've eaten too much (usually of really dense protein), it's a very uncomfortable feeling, like there's a lump in there.  I have to stop eating when I feel like I could keep going.  Measuring is critical to me.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?