4 DAYS UNTIL SURGERY!!!! Many thoughts, questions, etc.

countrybella
on 12/14/14 11:57 pm - Ashton, Canada

Well, only 4 days until surgery! The anxiety is starting to set in. The hardest thing right now is getting in all 4 Optifast shakes daily. I am now at the point, after 16 days of doing this pre-op diet, where I can hardly get 2 shakes in per day. My husband tries to encourage me to drink a third, and I puke. I am disgusted by them. They never tasted good to begin with, but now even the thought of them makes me gag.

I went out yesterday and bought kiddy utensils and a plate & tiny Tupperware containers. I am looking so forward to the time when I can eat soup, or ricotta cheese, or soft/pureed foods (this 3 week pre-op diet has been TORTURE). I am really hoping to be able to have SOMETHING while I sit down with my family for Christmas supper. By that time I will be 6 days out.... I think my plan calls for clear liquids in the hospital (2 days), then liquids for a week, then purree's for a week, then soft foods for a week then regular foods. It does say though that if I feel up to it, that I don't have to wait the whole week every time to move on, when I am ready to go on to the next stage, do it.

Any insight into this? Also, will life ever be "normal" again? Will I be able to go out with friends and enjoy a meal, will I be able to have pizza, french fries or pasta (etc.) OCCASIONALLY as a treat? At this point, even the bland foods that I would never usually crave seem appetizing to me. Can't wait to get something in my tummy that doesn't totally make me want to puke.

Also hoping to be somewhat mobile by Christmas. I don't expect to be running a marathon, but being awake and alert would be wonderful to spend time with family.

Any insight is appreciated.

Kate M.
on 12/15/14 2:25 am
RNY on 08/08/14

Countrybella, 

Don't expect much at Christmas - trying to be completely honest with you. You really might not feel up to eating at that point, and rather than running from the table to throw up during Christmas dinner, it might be worth it to sip on some tea or eat a light soup. 

Your life does go back to normal, I promise. I'm now just over four months out, and down about 80 pounds. I went on a cruise this last week and was able to eat all the foods I normally could, just very small portions. A word of warning about that - as a recovering foodaholic, it's been hard being able to eat "normal" foods again. Eat your protein first, your fats second and your carbs last. Everything you're doing right now and in the next few months will be so WORTH IT - it's just hard to see the forest through all the trees. 

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. :) 

Kate

clr055
on 12/15/14 5:44 am - Lewisville, ID

I am two weeks (as of tomorrow) out from surgery. I am on the full liquids phase until tomorrow. I imagine that on Christmas day you will be enjoying a lovely two tablespoons of strained cream of chicken soup, 98% fat free, and some nice ice water. The soup really is the best tasting thing I have had so far. I hate broth, it tastes like metal, I hate protein shakes too. Muscle Milke (the chocolate is the only good one) is pretty decent and could be blended with ice and would literally taste like a chocolate milk shake.

I fully expect myself to be able to eat "normal" one day. As in real food. And on the occasions I go out to eat (which will be rare) to be able to eat with my friends. The only exception to this might be sweets as I don't know if my body will tolerate them or not. That one is a crap shoot. But if you lead with your protein and are conscious I see no reason why you cannot.

You will heal faster than you think. The first few days in the hospital pretty much sucked. One word of warning.. all this talk and warnings you have read about constipation after surgery are not a bunch of hype. Make sure you are going normal before surgery, use laxatives if you must. If you are not and then add in the normal constipation from surgery then you will be in a world of hurt, think impacted bowel. The things one must do to overcome that issue are not something I will ever share with another human being but they are bad.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404