Surgery is Friday and I am thinking about cancelling!

countrybella
on 12/15/14 5:03 am - Ashton, Canada

I don't think this is for me! Waited a year and a half for this and now I feel like this isn't for me!!!! HELP!

Dartmouth
on 12/15/14 5:14 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

What are the reasons you are thinking about cancelling?

countrybella
on 12/15/14 5:17 am - Ashton, Canada

I feel like this all too much! I feel like I will have to give up my current lifestyle, therefore becoming a home body! I LOVE food! I can't believe how much I have struggled with this 3 week pre-op diet of clear liquids and optifast shakes! The shakes now make me puke! I just feel like this is a bad idea! 

The Salty Hag
on 12/15/14 6:28 am
RNY on 05/20/13

What is your current lifestyle like that you are afraid to give it up? 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

countrybella
on 12/15/14 9:31 am - Ashton, Canada

We do a lot of camping, BBQing, eating out, bonfires with roasted weenies and marshmallows, I do like to drink at parties and outings sometimes! I also LOVE food and am afraid of screwing this up if I go through with it! I am afraid I'll lose my social life (I am VERY social)etc!

i am terrified!

The Salty Hag
on 12/15/14 9:41 am, edited 12/15/14 9:41 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm not trying to be snotty or snide, but if you aren't 100% ready to leave the marshmallows, and drinking behind....you may need more time to deal with your food issues. Your head HAS to be in the right place before they operate on your tummy. 

Edited for typos. ( I reallllly need glasses, I think! ) 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

countrybella
on 12/15/14 9:53 am - Ashton, Canada

That's the thing... Up until now I thought I had this "by the balls," today it hit me like a brick wall! I was feeling totally ready to

give up all that! In fact, it's rare for me to

ever have it! Just a scary thought being so restricted! One minute my head is in the game, the next it's not (this is only tonight) up until not I've been 100% committed and head in the game!!! Maybe pre surgery jitters! And didn't take that the wrong way! I appreciate any advice I can get!!!!! Thank you :-)

auntieudee
on 12/16/14 9:42 am - AZ
RNY on 08/13/13

I agree with the previous posts to a certain extent, but it is natural to be scared, and have second thoughts. No one goes into a marriage without the occasional second guessing leading up to the big day. You are NOT going to feel 100% about the surgery 100% of the time. 

Plus, there is also the chance that you could be like me and my mother. I am 1 year and 4 months post-op, and she is 4 plus years post-op, and we are able to eat almost ANYTHING that we want, but of course in moderation.  Too MUCH food equals hugging the toilet for 15 minutes. LOL NOT fun. So it keeps us in check. My mom has gained some weight, but no more than the recommended 20-30 pounds over her goal weight. That is totally normal. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it is not uncommon or a bad thing. She actually lost around 15 pounds lower than her initial goal weight, and looked extremely unhealthy, so that weight gain was a blessing. For me, I have gained muscle mass.

We are lucky, we are able to eat a similar diet of lap-band recipients, but with the long-term benefits of the RNY. And there are plenty of us out there, we are not the extreme minority, it is just that most of us hesitate to speak about it around those that have no choice but to follow the recommended diet 100% of the time.

The worst that happens, is that too much sugar gives me really painful gas. LOL So, I eat it in moderation. I exercise, avoid overly high fat foods, and too many carbs, and get as much protein in my diet as I can. 

I expect that a lot of people will have negative things to say in response to my comment, but screw it. I am being honest about my experience with you. The experience is different for everyone. I think it is only fair that you hear more than one type of experience. And even if you can not eat the way I do, I can tell you that for the first 9 months after my surgery, I did follow everything strictly, and to be honest it really wasn't that bad. I found that my taste buds had changed, and certain foods that I used to love, no longer seemed appealing to me. That sounds depressing now, but you will be so happy about it later on. 

Good luck, and I hope that you have some faith in yourself to commit to this surgery. The pre-op diet is the most difficult part of the process, and if you completed that, then you can do this! 

RNY completed on Aug. 13th, 2013

Life is good & getting better! 

auntieudee
on 12/16/14 9:49 am - AZ
RNY on 08/13/13

As far as the drinking is concerned, I drink beer pretty regularly. I was also worried about the same things before the surgery. I just remove the carbonation as much as I can. I prefer flat beer, and it makes for a good conversation starter when people see me shaking up my beer in a plastic bottle. LOL 

I have read posts from many people on here that also drink beer, or like to drink wine, and have no problems at all. So if you want to occasionally drink, I wouldn't worry about it. You will just have to take a break for a while, as the first 6 - 12 months are the most crucial. 

Again, good luck! 

RNY completed on Aug. 13th, 2013

Life is good & getting better! 

countrybella
on 12/16/14 8:57 pm - Ashton, Canada

Auntieudee,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Those were the words I needed to hear. Before reading your post, I had made my mind up that I am doing this come hell or high water. I had a bad night, and a few bad hours the next day. I called the hospital and talked to one of the nurses! She was WONDERFUL! No pressure at all, options, etc. She told me to talk to my family, sleep on it and let her know today what I decided. I have already called her, and am happy with my decision. I still do not have a time for surgery, I suppose I get that tomorrow afternoon. I am still a bit nervous, but that HAS to be expected.

You are so fortunate that your mom did it at the same time as you! Someone to share your experiences with, someone to talk to who actually understands. I am lucky with my family and husband are SO supportive. I can't imagine doing this without them by my side.

I know going in that this is a lifestyle change, and I am prepared to commit to that, it just seems scary to think that in 2 days, my life will be COMPLETELY different. Change can be scary! I guess one step at a time, see what I can eat, how often to eat, how much, etc. This will be a HUGE learning curve. I have reviewed my surgeons instructions, eating plans, etc. so many times I basically have them memorized.

I am doing this. Thank you SO much for your support and your story! You have no idea how much it helped!!!

Have a wonderful Christmas, I will be in touch! :)

CountryBella

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 408 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 276 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 121 views