How do I make a good shake?

Cookie1257
on 12/21/14 3:34 am - Chester, NY

I brought some muscle milk lite powder. I'm having trouble with consistency.  When I use the shake cup it comes out with too many lumps,  If I use the Ninja it comes out with an airy froth on top, Sometimes it's watery. My doctor only want us to use water,   Any recommendations on how I can make a better shake?   This is my 11th day out of surgery,  Still on liquids for another week, Thanks inadvance.

nicupnorth
on 12/21/14 5:17 am - Eagle river, WI

I really like Nectar brand, it tastes like fruit juice, and 23g of protein per scoop.  They have a ton of different flavors.

White Dove
on 12/21/14 7:01 am - Warren, OH

I will only use one protein powder company, BSN. Their Lean Dessert and Synthra-6 flavors are so much better to me because they do not have a stinky protein powder smell and they taste great.  Open up a container and smell it, it smells like cake mix.  The rest of them smell like sour milk.  They also mix beautifully.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Eggface
on 12/21/14 7:08 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Make it with the ninja and sip it out of a travel mug... froth stays behind. Some protein powders froth more... if your ninja comes with several cups, use the smallest. I use 8 oz milk (or if I add higher cal items bananas, etc.) I use 1/2 milk, 1/2 water. Traveling I use shaker bottle and water. Some recipes: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2014/04/eggfa ce-favorite-protein-shakes-and.html

Congrats on your surgery!!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

NYMom222
on 12/21/14 7:19 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I find using a stick blender blends it without so much froth and you have more control.
Something like this one:
http://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-2-Speed-Immersion-Blender/dp/B00ARQVM5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419203828&sr=8-1&keywords=stick+blender

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

poet_kelly
on 12/21/14 8:04 am - OH

I like my shakes much better with milk.  If not real milk, almond milk.  Unsweetened almond milk is pretty low in calories.  Is there a reason your doc would object to that?

Some brands mix better just by shaking than others.  If the blender makes it too foamy, let it sit in the fridge for a while.  Some of that foam should dissipate. 

It it seems too watery, try adding less water.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sqlchick19
on 12/21/14 11:16 am
RNY on 12/15/14

I'm on day 6, and the only way I can tolerate the shake is if I make it with a tbsp of SF jello pudding mix (butterscotch, pistachio, white chocolate) and almost all ice.   I put in the nutribullet and blend so it's the consistency of a granita.  Then I eat it with a spoon (took me 3 hours, but I finished :))

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

selhard
on 12/21/14 9:49 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Just when I thought I have mastered protein smoothie-making and proudly sharing with family, my DH recently confessed he can't fake liking them anymore!  It must be the protein powder smell/taste where I hardly notice anymore.  Friendly warning:  be careful giving out recommendations.  I will resist posting my concoction anymore : /

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views
Recent Topics