5 Days Post-Op

countrybella
on 12/23/14 11:01 pm - Ashton, Canada

Well, I went through with it and it went so well! They wanted to send me home within 24 hours but I had agreed to be in a study so ended up having to stay 2 nights for that reason!

Things were going SO well! As of yesterday though, I nearly collapsed in the shower, have been nauseous since, and am just beside myself right now wondering if I made the right decision! Feeling a little regret! 

I realize this isn't gonna be better in just a day or two, but, after a month of not eating and now being able to but so nauseous I can't, it is frustrating! The thought of most foods makes me want to puke! I can get in about 1/2 the protein I should be in a day, today I wonder how I will get in any at all! 

I called the clinic because I was so beside myself and they suggested gravol and Tramadol.... Then in 45 minutes start sipping, then try another shake - PUKE! Ugh! Right now this feels like torture! I hope that I start to come around soon because this feeling of regret is HUGE FOR ME RIGHT NOW :-(

HELP!!!!!!! TIA

oneuppr1
on 12/23/14 11:42 pm

no offence, i know everyones surgon is different but i truly believe this trend of rushing out of the hospital and starting on full liquids so quickly after surgery is causeing all these issues. i got my surgery thru the VA, so they are very conservitive i was in the hospital for 5 days after surgery and i had 0 complications. also i was on clear liquids for 2 weeks after surgery then 2 weeks on full liquids, 2 weeks on pureed food, then on to soft foods.  i have had no issues once so ever. my pouch have addiquite time to heal. some people might think my diet was overkill, but i dont think so, yea it sucked to be on clear liquids so long. but id take that over feeling terrible.

Poodlemac
on 12/24/14 10:40 am
RNY on 09/26/14

I'd have lost my mind if I had to stay in the hospital 5 days. I was bored out of my mind and sick of all the noise. Plus, I missed my dogs!

shester
on 12/23/14 11:55 pm

I don't know what caused it but for weeks i would feel like I was going to pass out in the shower keep the water as cold as you can stand. It will get better I promise. 

Debbieky
on 12/24/14 1:23 am - KY

I know what you mean, I had surgery last Tuesday and was scheduled to go home on Thursday, stayed an extra night, came home on Friday, went back to hospital on Monday due to bad nausea symptoms. Couldn't hold anything down without dry heaving. Dr gave me new medicine and now feel good. Hopefully on the road to recovery. Came home again today. 

Mybratboys3
on 12/24/14 2:23 am

I am 7 days post op and in the same boat. In the last 7 days I've managed to get down 1 1/2 shakes, water, skim milk and unsweetened tea. I have ZERO energy. And to top that off, apparently I'm having a reaction to the staples and I've got INTENSE itching and when I say intense I mean I want to pull every staple out and scratch like hell. I can NOT do the shakes, CAN"T ! I've tried several and in several different ways. All I can do now is try to stay hydrated and get through it. Hang in there kid !

clr055
on 12/24/14 2:54 am - Lewisville, ID

Buyers remorse!! I am a day over 3 weeks post op and please believe me when I tell you it will get better! Especially once you move to pureed foods, the full liquid diet SUCKS and I hated it post op. I hated every single thing I was suppose to eat and I hate protein shakes too. But once your move to pureed you get a bit more of the energy back and the nausea got way better for me. Give it another week and you will feel so much better! I had the most deep profound sense of dread about at the time you are at - telling myself "what the hell did you do to yourself!!".. that goes away as well, now my only worries is that I am not loosing fast enough, you know because 25 pounds in three weeks isn't enough lol

countrybella
on 12/24/14 3:22 am - Ashton, Canada

Thank you guys so much for your replies!! This post-op liquid diet is so hard, I agree! I even feel like I could get my protein powder in easier in puréed stuff! In a day or two I will see! I DREAD the shakes, thinking about them makes me nauseous! I actually just took some tramadol and went into a bout of dry heaves.... Crying.... Followed by incision pains from the dry heaving! UGH! I am so thankful to hear that you think things will start looking up in a few days.... Right now I feel exactly like "what the hell did I do to myself... What in the world was I thinking".... I hear so many people say they would do it over in a second so I can only hope that sooner or later I feel that way too! Right now I feel helpless and really down! Super sick, etc! Congrats on your loss! That is AMAZING!!!!!!!

angel91e
on 12/24/14 6:52 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I suffered a lot of nausea after surgery as well I would talk to your surgeons office about it they can prescribe some anti nausea meds and those help a lot. My surgeons office recommend trying some over the counter motion sickness tabs (Dramimine) I was a little dubious about their suggestion at first but I was desperate enough to try anything at that point and I was shocked at how much those took the edge off the nausea. The best part is they come in chewsables and sublingual forms so u don't have to swallow any tablets. I hope the nausea gets better for you soon

Angel

cspotrun
on 12/24/14 9:57 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I had to take Zofran for 3 weeks due to the nausea.  It was rough.  But once it went away, it never came back.  It did seem to coincide with getting to soft foods.  Don't worry so much about the protein.  By 90 days out, you'll be getting all your protein.  it's a process.  I had buyers remorse too, and it went away quickly.  Hang in there buddy, it's only going to get better.

Karen   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views