Is this the 3 week stall? (at 5 weeks)

catalina07
on 12/24/14 11:02 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

So I am 5 weeks post-op today. I have heard people talk about the dreaded "3 week stall". A few days ago the scale stopped moving. :( I tried to tell myself this is the thing everyone talks about. BUT, what is concerning me is that it is less of a stall...and more of a gain!!!! The scale is actually moving but in the wrong direction! I am 3lbs up! I am telling myself this will change but, after losing so quickly in the beginning it is bothering me to see it going the wrong way. It started shortly after advancing to the soft food diet. I am tracking everything on myfitnesspal and I am eating about 1,000 calories per day, sometimes less. I am getting all my protein in through food, no more icky shakes. I probably need to drink my water but other then that I am doing really well. Has anyone else had the scale start to move UP after a few weeks? 

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

(deactivated member)
on 12/25/14 2:33 am
RNY on 11/17/14

When I was in my stall (for 3 weeks!) my scale moved up 2lbs and stayed there until my stall broke. I was flipping out too. Just keep working your plan.

catalina07
on 12/25/14 9:32 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Thanks Miss Holly. I am glad to hear about your experience. I am still going to stick to my plan and keep my fingers crossed!

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

angel91e
on 12/25/14 8:44 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I frequently go to go up a pound or two of water weight right before a stall breaks. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are sticking to your plan.  I go through that cycle repeatedly. Loose weight- stall- gain 2 pounds- drop ten more- repeat.

I know it's hard not to compare our journey with others but we really all are a little different and you will soon find your own rythym. Good luck to you 

Angel 

catalina07
on 12/25/14 9:35 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Thanks Angel. I hope the same happens for me. I am looking for my rhythm too.

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

jaxie77
on 12/25/14 9:09 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey ! Merry Christmas!  

I am almost 2 weeks out , not feeling much of hunger or fullness yet , ive saw the scale go down some which is great. I'm sticking to my plan and I think I'm consuming around 500 - 600 calories daily according to MFP  . I'm just fresh out but have read and been on the boards for almost a year , and ( I could be wrong ...it wouldn't be the first time !) I think from what I've read in other posts ....1000 calories may be too much at this stage ? Of course it completely should go by what your surgeon's plan is for you . But as far as for me , I don't think I've to be eating as many calories for a long time . 

like I say , I'm not sure but maybe just check with your team and see ? Or maybe even just drop 100 cals a day and see if the scale moves down again ? 

Let me know as I'd be interested , I'm still learning and would like to hear about your progress ! 

Good luck xx 

Jax xx

catalina07
on 12/25/14 9:38 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

My nutritionist at the surgeon's office told me to eat around 1,000 calories now that I am on the soft food diet. She said that if you eat too little calories that you will go into starvation mode and stop losing. When I was just 2 weeks out, I was on liquids and was really only getting in around 400 calories or less per day. I am trying to eat mostly proteins because they said that it is the most important thing. I could try to drop 100 calories and see how it goes. Thanks for your advice. I will let you know!

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

RayaniFoxmur
on 12/25/14 10:49 am - Bowling Green, OH
RNY on 01/13/15 with

I'm pretty sure the starvation mode as we know it is a myth. Here's some articles saying as such: 

http://www.fattyfightsback.com/2009/03/mtyhbusters-starvation-mode.html?m=1

http://www.weigh****chers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm

Honestly I'd be concerned about a nutritionist that told me I'd go into starvation mode :/

HW: 446  SW: 391.4 CW: 317.0

http://thernyjourney.blogspot.com - My blog on my journey!!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/25/14 10:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What she said. Starvation mode is bullcrap. Stalls are commonplace, and if you are eating little enough, you will lose.

1,000 calories is more than most people eat at your stage. 700 or so seems more the norm.

Anyone can be a nutritionist. I can call myself one. A Registered Dietician needs a college degree, state license, and continuing education. Even still, they might not know a lot about WLS nutrition. Check the credentials of your nutritionist.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

catalina07
on 12/27/14 4:27 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

my nutritionist may very well be a registered dietician and most likely is. She is part of the team that you work with including psychologists, nurses, surgeons etc. This is a very good hospital and I am sure they wouldn't hire someone who is unlicensed or uneducated and she works with primarily weight loss surgery patients.  That being said, are you recommending that I should go against their orders? It isn't easy to get in 1,000 calories a day. I have to make a lot of choices that are all about trying to stay on the plan that they have given to me. some days I get only 800-900 calories. I am hoping this is just a stall and that I will begin losing again soon. If I ate only 1000 calories a day before I had surgery, I probably wouldnt have needed it in the first place!!!  Thanks for your opinions though. I did look into the "starvation mode" as a myth and it was interesting and something to consider. Thank You

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics