Liquid pain meds

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 12/23/14 9:29 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

hi all. I am 3 weeks post op.  So happy to finally say POST. It was the scariest thing I have ever done. Surgery went well and healing good. However I have an inflammatory illness so inflammation and infections have been my recent battle. I still have pain from it all and would like to take some mild pain meds. Preferably OTC liquid Tylenol but I see that they no longer make an adult form. Any suggestions for what you all take for liquid OTC pain meds? My doc recommends liquid Tylenol but doesn't  understand that I cannot find. Is there a point at which I will be healed enough to swallow pill form Tylenol? I know I cannot swallow now. But hope that is not permanent. 

http://bypassgal2014.blogspot.com

bee28
on 12/23/14 10:50 pm - Sarnia, Canada
RNY on 12/09/14

I myself was given pill form pain killers 2 days after surgery in the hospital and was able to swallow them. I think if you can tolerate it then it shouldn't be an issue.

sqlchick19
on 12/23/14 11:10 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

I was given liquid narcotics to take home from the hospital (I'm 9 days out)....but was also told to get chewable children's motrin (yes, Motrin...I asked 4 people in the hospital, including my world renowned surgeon, if this was correct...and apparently it is).  The Motrin helped LOTS...they make a chewable kids Tylenol as well.

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

poet_kelly
on 12/24/14 4:33 am - OH

Your surgeon is advising you to take NSAIDS?  Wow.  I wouldn't do it myself, even if my doc advised me to.  Actually, my PCP did advise me to.  I told him I will be following the ASMBS guidelines and avoiding NSAIDS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sqlchick19
on 12/24/14 4:45 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Yep.  I know ...I was surprised too. 

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 12/24/14 12:59 am
RNY on 12/02/14

I was given Vicodin liquid for post op.  I just want to get away from the strong stuff so that I can work and all. My doc said no to swallowing the pills and I am not great at getting food down yet. The children meds all have sweetener in them so I wasn't sure if this would cause dumping. 

http://bypassgal2014.blogspot.com

chelle7964
on 12/24/14 9:03 am - mcclure, IL
RNY on 12/16/14

I have found Liquid Tylenol at my local Dollar General.... But my surgeon says that's not necessary.  I am a week out and have been taking pills (15 mins apart) since day 2. He recommended capsules for Tylenol and I have had no problems with that. 

RNY 12/16/14; HW 297; SW 276.1; CW 250

clr055
on 12/24/14 2:56 am - Lewisville, ID

I got liquid Hydrocodone coming home from the hospital. I am 3 weeks out and I occasionally take one gel capsule of Tylenol when I need some help and don't want narcotics and I do just fine.

poet_kelly
on 12/24/14 4:32 am - OH

Why can't you swallow now?  I was swallowing pills 12 hours after surgery.  I never took liquid Tylenol.

But if your doc wants you to take it, ask him where you can buy it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/24/14 4:41 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I found liquid tylenol in several of the local drugstores.  If you cannot, Amazon has it.  Here's a 3 pack with free prime shipping:

liquid acetaminophen for adults

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 211 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?