Surgery recovery: what are the first 2-3 days like?

Pokemom
on 12/27/14 3:00 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

Hello, all!  I am so excited--and nervous--about my RNY surgery, scheduled for eary afternoon, Monday, Dec 29.  

I would like to know more about people's recovery experience in the first 2-3 days.  Last year, I had a hysterectomy, and a hysterectomy support site I used focused a lot on the surgical experience.  Although i have been hangking out on OH for a couple of months, i have not seen a lot of "what to expect during early recovry" detail nere.  Is there another place/forum here on OH where I can find that detail?

For example, how much pain should I expect in the hospital and once home?  Will I be comfortable moving around in my bed?  Will it be hard for me to use my core muscles, or is the pain up higher in the abdomen?  I feel a little stupid asking these questions.  I feel I have found, read and absorbed all kinds of info on post surgery diet and lifestyle, and also a lot on the actual surgical reorganization of my insides. But I am just woefully lacking in info about the actual surgery recovery.

if anyone has also had a hysterctomy, can you compare the pain/recovery experience between the two procedures?

Thanks everyone!

Poodlemac
on 12/27/14 4:28 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I had surgery at 7am on a Friday, was off pain meds by late Saturday evening. The most pain I experienced was gas upon waking. I'd never had any surgery before, so didn't know what to expect. My doc doesn't do drains or, heaven forbid, a feeding tube like some, so I'm sure that helped with my recovery. I did have feelings of regret, or buyers remorse for about a day, but that passed quickly. The only pain I recall besides the gas, was when turning in bed, some soreness or grabbing on the right side. Dr said was normal due to the location of one of the incisions. I'm right at 3 mos out and can honestly say it is the best thing I've ever done for myself!  Good luck and keep us posted!!

GodsChildII
on 12/27/14 8:01 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

I had surgery at 8:00 a.m. On a Tuesday and woke up around 3:00 or 4:00 that day in no pain at all. They immediately got me up and walking which helped with the gas. I was off pain meds by the time I left the hospital the next evening. The biggest pain that you will feel ( in my opinion) is from gas. If you walk, walk and walk ( no matter what keep moving). You will be fine. If you lay in bed or remain stationary, you will experience gas pains. I would do laps around my house every 30 minutes and then every 20 minutes and so on until I was doing a lap every five minutes, until bed time. 

I was worried about the pain going into surgery but honestly, for me their really was no pain to speak of.

lmnmbh
on 12/27/14 9:04 pm

I wrote a journal of my experiences following surgery and occasionally update it with how I'm feeling, etc.  The following information is what I wrote for the days/weeks after my RNY surgery.  Everyone's experience is different.  But I can honestly say I wished someone would have told me what to expect after surgery.  This way you can expect the worst, but hope for the best.   So, here is what I wrote:  (sorry for the length)

Following surgery I was in a lot of pain.  I had oxygen tube under my nose, an IV in my arm, an oxygen sensor on my finger, a catheter in my bladder and a button to press when I needed pain medication (which was often) and a drain coming out of my stomach.  Not long after I was awaken, they came and started giving me shots in my stomach to make sure I didn’t get a blood clot.  I had three shots each day for the first 3 days.

I was unable to have anything to eat or drink the first day so all day I kept rubbing my lips and teeth with a wet sponge on a stick.  Later in the evening they got me out of bed and put me in the chair to sit for a while.

The second day I was allowed to have 1-2 ounces of liquid every hour.  I had water and apple juice mainly.  I wasn’t hungry, just thirsty, so I was always reminding the nurse it was time for more fluids.

They removed my catheter and then physical therapy came in to get me out of bed and go for a walk.  I did well with it and they were surprise.  Still had a lot of pain, had a hard time sleeping and moving.

The third day I was allowed to have full liquids which consisted of cream of wheat, milk, water, etc.  I ate maybe a tablespoon of the cream of wheat but drank most of my liquids.

I went home on the third day in the afternoon.  It was a long ride home and I felt nauseated most of the time.

My next week and a half were horrible.  I had a lot of pain, nausea, weakness and lightheadedness.  Had a hard time moving because of the pain and the drain. Didn’t sleep much because I couldn’t get comfortable and had pain in my abdomen.  Couldn’t sit in a recliner because the weight of my stomach was too much pressure......   so I slept sitting straight up in a chair.  I WAS MISERABLE!!  I did manage to walk 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day.  I knew that the more I walked, the quicker I would heal and the gas pains would be minimal.

Since I had never had abdominal surgery before, maybe I was just a "baby".  Maybe part of me made it worse because I needed the attention of my family.  I don't know.  I just know that it was a rough couple of weeks.  I'm now 3 months out from surgery and doing really well.  One of my daughters is dietician.  Prior to surgery she told me that I will have a rough 3 months.  Mainly because of the adjustment I had to make with food and doing the trial and error on what, when and how much food I can eat.  So I'm at the end of that 3 months -- 2015 should be a great year for me! 

Good luck to you!

nicupnorth
on 12/27/14 10:14 pm - Eagle river, WI

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op, when I woke up, my CPAP was on O2 sensor, IV ect.  I walked and walked and walked, I could eat puréed food but wanted none of it jus****er, birung some Biotene with you, it helps with dry mouth.  I was ok pain wise in hospital used pain pump 3 times I think, I was in hospital 3 days.  

The hardest part for me was at home. Could not sleep well, had to sleep on my back because I could not put any pressure on my sides.  Had to have my husband help me out of bed to use the bathroom ect.  I did not use any pain meds at home because I am stubborn...... but should have,  this is the first couple of days I have not have any pain bending over to pick something up, the thing that caused my most pain was standing to sitting and vice versa.

i have had several abdominal surgeries but this one was the worst to get over they cut into a different set of muscles as opposed to the C section type of surgeries.  

Good luck it was all worth it.  All though I did think at one point "OMG what have I done to myself.

burghblonde
on 12/27/14 11:03 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

I had very little pain at all post op. I actually only remember taking my pain meds twice after discharge. The most discomfort, as others have stated, is from the gas. Keep moving!!!

I will say that I had a LOT of nausea for the first 4 days. This is to be expected though of any type of abdominal surgery involving GI parts, but please keep in mind it does not affect everyone! ;)

You will do great!!!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Deana_
on 12/28/14 1:35 am

Hi I had surgery monday.

pain from the surgery is minimal. It was sore to move in and out of the bed.

the gas pain is the worst part of the process for me.. I literally do not ever want to feel that way again.

i came home on day three. Kept walking and finally the gas came out with lots of Diarreah lol. 

karenp8
on 12/28/14 3:12 am - Brighton, IL

Everyone's experience is different because every surgeon is different. My surgeon does not use a catheter,drain or feeding tube like some do. I was only in the hospital the night after surgery and went home the next day with minimal pain. I never took anything but Tylenol even in the hospital. I walked in the hall about 40 minutes after I came to my room. I walked so much the nurses threatened to put me to work but the gas moved out quickly because of that. I am thankful every day for my surgery as I lost 145 pounds and have kept it off for 20 months so far. I love my new healthy active life! You will too!

karin602
on 12/28/14 3:39 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Unfortunately without a working crystal ball there is no way to predict pain and your recovery. I had little pain but had ill effects from anesthesia. Dizzy and nausea which kept me bedbound for the first day. Up and walking day 2, no pain meds and went home that night. Didn't wait for pain med prescription to be filled and didn't need any. Not everyone is so lucky. As I wrote unpredictable. I had my gall bladder out several years ago and had excruciating pain and ended up four days in the hospital for a same day surgery. Go figure! Good luck on your upcoming day and the beginning of an awesome journey.

Karin

crazy4birds
on 12/28/14 4:11 am
RNY on 12/02/14

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op.  I too had the most pain from the gas.  I had the shot in the stomach and then several in the arms to stop blood clots. Those hurt.  Over 4 hour drive home that rush hour traffic in San Francisco didn't help.  By the time I left the hospital (3rd day) I was no longer on pain meds.  They were liquid and made me feel dizzy and nauseous.  When I got home I starting taking liquid tylenol and that was enough for me.  The first few days home I needed help standing from the couch or bed.  Sleeping in bed was in one position and uncomfortable the first few nights.  I've had 3 c sections, hysterectomy, gall bladder and hernia surgery.  The worst for me was the hernia surgery.  I had a sharp muscle/nerve pain with that  surgery every time I tried to move.  I think it depends on each person.  I have fibro which makes me very sensitive to pain and this surgery wasn't that bad.  Like I said I was dizzy and nauseous the first couple of days but it was the pain meds.  The first one made me itch so they switched to morphine which made me itch and sick so then they put me on liquid hydrocodone.  My bladder froze up and I couldn't pee so they had to re-catheter me several times.  Once I stopped the pain meds my bladder started working again.  Hope your surgery goes well.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 365 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views