Revision from sleeve to RNY! SCARED! Please help!

suziemellis
on 1/2/15 9:53 pm - gilroy, CA

Hi all...

I am scheduled for a revision of my vsg to rny in Feb 2015. I had the sleeve in 2009. Weighed 289 at my high point, 275 day of surgery. Got to 152 at a low point and I am 185 today. 5'3".

I am getting a conversion for reflux and continued weight loss. Please no responses telling me that the DS is a better option. I have reflux and if I get a revision it is to going to be the RNY...

My question is... has anyone had this operation? When did you have it and what was your start/end weights? Did you experience a lot more dumping and intolerance of foods? How was your recovery? 

Any complications or advice? I weigh 185. My goal is just 150 and I am worried about losing too much weight. Any thoughts on that?

Anyone who did it for reflux, did it cure your problems? 

If anyone could please give me any and allllllllllllll info they have on the operation, recovery, thoughts etc...

In case you are wondering why the weight regain... My history is this: I went from 275 to 152. I never really stayed there. Over the course of 5-6 months I got to about 170 and stayed there forever. I struggled a bit, I would fluctuate for about 4 years between 170 and 177. I had a baby 5 months ago. Tried my darndest to not gain too much. Gained about 40 lbs which is not too bad. So right now the extra 10-15 lbs I am carrying about my average 170-175 is baby weight. I have been trying to take it off, but found that the scale absolutely will not budge unless I eat 800 calories or less, which is very hard to do without appetite suppressants lol...

Anyway ok, any and all info please and thanks!

sqlchick19
on 1/3/15 1:45 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Hi!  I was revised from a band...the reason being my esophogus was failing most likely from 1. High pressure system my band caused (pushing up against my esophogus); 2. Constant acid reflux.  I wanted to revise to the sleeve but was told no...I would have the same issues...as the sleeve creates that high pressure system as well.

That being said, I'm almost 3 weeks out, so I'm still dealing with incision pain, refeeding issues, etc...but as for the reflux/choking...OMG...what relief!  I don't feel like I'm constantly choking, I can lay flat, and what I eat or drink actually goes down (I'm on purees...but still), no waking up having aspirated stomach acid....the relief was immediate btw.

Hope this helps...

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/3/15 10:03 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There are two people in my local support group that converted from sleeve to RNY because of reflux. Reflux disappeared completely for both, and they are extremely happy and complication-free.

They both lost what they wanted two after revision. As for losing too much weight, that is extremely rare. You'll run into a few that think they lost too much, but their BMIs are still well within the normal range. There just isn't enough malabsorption in RNY for that to happen. Losing too much weight would likely be the result of an aquired eating disorder rather than having a medical reason.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

mittens20
on 1/3/15 11:17 am - MD

hi I went from band to rny I love it no reflux and I never have been sick I have gone down 85 pounds in 9 months im having my gallbladder removed on January 12 that's the only thing that has gone bad lol

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics