I had my bypass on 9/29/14 and I have a question regarding the billing.

texastiki
on 1/6/15 7:44 am

Did anyone have a separate bill for a assistant surgeon with their rny?  I never even met an assistant surgeon and I was looking at the claims section of Aetna and it said they don't cover this.  Should'nt have my primary surgeon told me about this or at least the office  I have not received a bill yet but I am a little nervous cause it said I might owe 10,000 dollars

NYMom222
on 1/6/15 8:11 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I knew I was having 2 surgeons. I don't know how the office billed it, but it wasn't a problem. When the Dr. office got the approval they knew there would be 2 surgeons even if you didn't. I would think they would have told you if there was going to be something that wasn't covered. At least my office was sure you knew what you were getting yourself into.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

hl1524
on 1/6/15 10:51 am - Austin, TX

I had a similar issue with my anesthesiologist. I called my insurance company because I felt like I was double billed. Apparently this type of thing is a common practice. 

RNY 8/27/2014

poet_kelly
on 1/7/15 9:49 am - OH

Being billed for the anesthesiologist is typical.  It's not double billing.  And everyone that has surgeon knows they are going to be under anesthesia and, I assume, knows an anesthesiologist will be administering that anesthesia.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mschwab
on 1/6/15 12:45 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Most insurance companies don't pay for assistant surgeons, except for very complicated surgeries where it is a safety issue for the patient. That doesn't stop some surgeons from using them. They should have told you. My advice is to appeal the denial to Aetna on the basis that you could not have known, or controlled, who was in the OR.  Use all of your levels of appeal if you need them. If that doesn't work, call your surgeon's office and see if you can negotiate the bill. At the very least, you should only pay what they would have received from Aetna. A fraction of the retail rate.  Good luck.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

mschwab
on 1/6/15 12:53 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

Also, don't pani****il you get a bill.  The surgeon may not balance bill you.  Have you received an EOB with a denial yet? If so, does it show that the balance is "patient responsibility"?  If not, contractual agreements may require them to write of the balance. If it does say it is your responsibility on the EOB, start the appeal process. The denial should have instructions for doing that.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

poet_kelly
on 1/7/15 9:48 am - OH

If you didn't know there was going to be an assistant surgeon and didn't consent to that, then you should not be responsible for paying for it.  Call your surgeon's office.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics