Gall bladder ejection fraction of 4 (yes, you read that right). but will removal make it worse?

aesposito
on 1/6/15 10:40 am

Like a lot of RNY-ers, I've been having gall bladder-y issues for a year or so now, with the doctor mixed on what I should do about it.  The latest HIDA scan with CCK showed an ejection fraction of 4 (basically a useless lump of bile-clogged flesh)... which finally prompted my GI guy to admit it may be time for it to come out. 

My question to you is, of those of you who have had it out, did it help?  My doctor's worry is that he's seen half of his patients lose their gall bladder but gain worse symptoms... my current battle is with nausea and diarrhea after eating... but in the past I've had a few painful episodes that landed me in the ER.

Thanks for any guidance you might have as I consider my options.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

princessjess73
on 1/6/15 1:50 pm - Lees Summit, MO

I had mine out long before surgery in 2001. Mine also had no ej fract. I was so sick and chronically dehydrated. I always have dumping at some point, unpredictable and sometimes a food is great and the next not-- happened with a Boca burger today. Overall, I am lad it is out. I suffered 7 long painful years.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/7/15 5:48 am

I don't know what my ejection fraction was, but I got complete relief by having mine out. High fat foods do sometimes cause me a bit of trouble, but that is completely in my control.

Perhaps a second opinion? Half of patients with worsening symptoms after removal seems high unless there is something else contributing.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Chilipepper
on 1/7/15 9:23 am

My mother and best friend both lost their gallbladder. They both suffer with bile salts ****s. They live on Questron. I don't ever want mine taken out. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 284 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics