Went to see Surgeon, talked labs

browneyes65
on 1/6/15 2:11 am - IN

1 Year out, I had to see my Nutritionist first went over labs  and i need to bring protein up still my number was 6.3 I told her I'm trying but I still cannot eat a lot of food in to get a good amount in, she wants me to get more protein in eating food. I find that certain foods I fill up fast like chicken, but can eat more tuna when I eat that. I'm going to keep trying to get more protein in. My Vitamin D25 was 51 she wants me to be 50-70, I take 1 Vit D3 50,000 a week should I do more ? My Iron was 33 wants it higher, I told her when I was there she told me to stop taking extra iron she said she see's no note about that. I remember. I told her I kept taking it anyway because I was worried. I was taking Spring Valley 65mg 325mg Ferrous Sulfate for a year why did they not notice before now I needed to change, first time I had a ferritin test done. I explained I cannot afford to order monthly Iron so I bough some Sundown Perfect Iron has 200 count. My Nut said take 4 a day that would be 100mg +2  500 Vit C. Check labs in 10 weeks. My surgeon just said follow what Nutritionist says.  I want to bring my Iron up. I wish there was a higher iron pill to take where you don't have to take so many. Anyone have advise ?

poet_kelly
on 1/6/15 2:51 am - OH

There are pills higher in iron.  Feosol carbonyl iron is 45 mg per pill and Vitalady Tender Iron has 60 mg carbonyl iron AND 400 mg vitamin C.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/6/15 6:59 am

Let me give my Kudos to the tender iron from vitamin lady.

Previously, before WLS, I was anemic and supplementing with the sulfate salt form of iron.  For some people, this form causes gas, constipation adn other forms of GI distress.

Nonetheless with the sulfate form, my hematocrit was often so low that the red cross didnt want my blood.

Flash forward,

WLS happens. I take these tender lady vitamins.

At my yearly labs, the docs office calls early to tell me to stop taking these extra supplements. My iron is too high.

So..clearly the carbonyl iron was doing something (or so i think)

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 1/6/15 6:59 am

Also the tender iron didnt give me gas...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

JenniPenny
on 1/6/15 4:05 am - MN

Vitron C is inexpensive, works well and has the Vitamin C wrapped in it already so you don't have to take that extra with the iron. It works great for post ops, and doesn't cause the constipation others iron supplements do. One a day is sufficient, check it out and see if that won't work for you.

Jen RNY 2001

browneyes65
on 1/6/15 8:04 am - IN

I was looking at this today but did not know what to get. So confused. I just want to get iron up. Do you think 1 is enough?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics