Back pain as the main post-surgery pain? Anyone else?

Pokemom
on 1/6/15 3:09 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Has anyone else's post-surgical pain manifested as back pain?

I have hardly ever had trouble with back pain.  

However, since surgery, I have had a lot of mid-back pain, sometimes severe and long-lasting.  In fact, I remember that as my anesthesia wore off, before I had my pain pump, I could hardly tolerate the back pain. What I felt in my mid and front abdomen was bearable.  In my woozy state, I kept asking my husband to help me, to get me pillows behind my back, saying, they must have done something to my back surfing surgery.  I kept sitting up, then lying down, seeking pain relief in my back.  

Since then, even in the hospital, I have become pretty convinced that this is how my surgical pain is expressing itself. If I overdo one day, I get the back pain..  If I rest, it tends to ease up.  It can be really awful, even 8 days out now.

Any others with this experience? Thoughts?

hl1524
on 1/6/15 3:29 am - Austin, TX

Kidney Stones presented themselves to me as back pain. They are very common with RNY, however I had my episode prior to surgery. The pain would come and go over a few years time. I never thought anything of it since back issues are common in my family. They discovered the stones during the many preop appointments. It might be worth checking out. 

RNY 8/27/2014

Pokemom
on 1/6/15 5:44 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Yaargh.  I hope it's not that!  But I will def ask about that at my follow up.  Thanks for the advice!

gigemgarcia
on 1/6/15 3:42 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I have terrible back pain after laying bed for about 6 hours. I always wake up a few hours before my alarm and move to the couch to sleep the rest of the two hours. It's uncanny, but it's like an internal clock. I have never had those issues before surgery. I don't want to take a second dose of pain meds, as I am back at work now. I am a little under one month post surgery.

Pokemom
on 1/6/15 5:46 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Maybe you and I are both experiencing what JenniPenni describes below.  Let's hope we both get better soon.

JenniPenny
on 1/6/15 4:00 am - MN

A lot of patients have back pain after surgery. It's the hard, metal surgical table and the pressure put on our mid section when they do the actual surgery. For many of us (me included) our butts are big and laying on a table on our back puts the small of our back and tailbone area at a painful angle. Most post ops have back pain after surgery -my dog said it was the metal table, being strapped to it  for the duration of surgery and the muscles put in an unnatural position while under anesthesia. IT does go away, heat and light stretching will make it feel better.

Jen RNY 2001

Pokemom
on 1/6/15 5:49 am
RNY on 12/29/14

This Was very reassuring.  Thanks for that, and for the advice for finding relief.  

56sunShine14
on 1/7/15 12:06 am

makes sense JenniPenny.  I wonder why they couldn't put a sterile, warm pack of towels under that part of the back during surgery to help alleviate this?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

hollykim
on 1/6/15 5:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

it could also be gallbladder,if you still have it.

Pokemom
on 1/6/15 5:51 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Well, I do still have it.  Can gallbladder problems develop that quickly after surgery?  I had an ultrasound the week before surgery, and all looked very good for the gallbladder, so they left it in.  I guess that is another good thing to ask at the follow up. Thanks!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics