Drain Slow and Low Volume

Bagspacked
on 1/7/15 4:18 am

I am 7 weeks post RNY. Everything seemed to be going quite normal. At about 3 weeks post op I noted that fluids and food sometimes don’t go down that easily. I was allowed scrambled eggs, lentil or pea soup, etc. That all seemed to go quite well, but I could only hold about 1/4th of a cup in volume before getting too full. At week 3 I was allowed thinly sliced deli meat, canned chicken or tuna, low-fat hot dog. That seemed fine except I really could not hold more than about 1/4th cup total. One night I had eaten some canned chicken breast. A while later I tried to drink water and it just backed up into my upper esophagus. I threw up. A few minutes later I tried again, and again everything came up. After 5-6 times of this I called my doctor. She had me go to the ER. She said that I had eaten double what she would expect, and that she was concerned I might have pulled some staples. They did the barium xray tests and noted that I did not have a leak, but that the fluid was not draining from my pouch as quickly as normal. Perhaps I was still plugged with some of the chicken. They kept me over night. Upon release she told me to go back to clear liquids for a month. That month will be over next Thursday. Does this seem normal? I had one day recently when nothing would go down. Not even water. But since that day I have had no problem, and have cheated and had split pea soup and some pureed avocado. Might I have a stricture, or is what I am describing normal? I have lost 80 pounds since I started this journey; 40 pounds since my surgery date of 11/21. I feel that I only have about 40 pounds more to lose to get to my goal weight, and I have only been in this for 7 weeks. Any advice?

STB
on 1/7/15 6:04 am
RNY on 07/21/14

I am five months post op. At seven weeks I could only eat a couple of bites. At five months I eat about 1/2 cup - 1 cup. Sometimes depending on the food I can't even eat that. I try to pay close attention and the minute I have that little discomfort feeling I stop eating. I am so new that I don't know what is "normal" but I wouldn't think water would be an issue ever. I would say keep a food log and record when you have issues and if you can't keep water down call the surgeon so you don't risk dehydration. I also measure all my food but just because it is the amount they say you can have doesn't mean that you will be able to tolerate it every time.

SHARON  

SkinnyScientist
on 1/7/15 6:05 am

HI!  At 3 weeks post op to about 3 months post op (i.e. 12 weeks) I was only allowed 1/4th cup of food.  By the end of 12 weeks, I was allowed to progress to 1/2 cup IF it was tolerable.

You over-filled.  Stop overfilling and stay within the volume of food set forth by your surgeon.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 1/7/15 6:06 am

I re-read this post.

Are you a troll?

Grim_Traveller
on 1/7/15 8:24 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On January 7, 2015 at 2:06 PM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

I re-read this post.

Are you a troll?

Why does he seem like a troll? It didn't strike me that way at all.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

SkinnyScientist
on 1/7/15 4:46 pm

The fact that he ate so much  so early and then tried to drink right after eating.

That is everything my surgeons office told me NOT to do.

Why would one eat so much, so early?  Notably, the amount is not disclosed.  WE know that within 7 weeks he was eating more than 1/4.  And that his surgeon thought it was ?double? what he should have ate. Deduction wouild lead one to conclude that 1/2-1 cup of food in under 3 months post op.

That is a lot of food.

And these make me conclude, trolling...

ladygodiva1228
on 1/7/15 5:55 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 8, 2015 at 12:46 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

The fact that he ate so much  so early and then tried to drink right after eating.

That is everything my surgeons office told me NOT to do.

Why would one eat so much, so early?  Notably, the amount is not disclosed.  WE know that within 7 weeks he was eating more than 1/4.  And that his surgeon thought it was ?double? what he should have ate. Deduction wouild lead one to conclude that 1/2-1 cup of food in under 3 months post op.

That is a lot of food.

And these make me conclude, trolling...

You must not have read his post well.  He said "A WHILE LATER I drank some water"  where do you get drinking right after eating? 

How do YOU know he was eating more than 1/4 cup of food when again he clearly stated "he could hold no more than 1/4 cup"?  It appears to he is measuring his food and he can just about eat the 1/4 cup.  Eating double could very well mean he ate the entire 1/4 cup and should have only eaten 1/2 of that.  Way to make assumptions.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

SkinnyScientist
on 1/7/15 9:04 pm

". She said that I had eaten double what she would expect, and that she was concerned I might have pulled some staples. "

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/7/15 10:39 pm

One quarter cup of food is NOT a lot, and his surgeon may have been concerned due to his vomiting as well. She sounds quite conservative. 

His post is certainly not the typical wind up we see from trolls; rather he is asking honest questions.

OP, you also expressed concern over losing too much. Very few of us actually lose too much. We may go through a period where we feel we are too thin, but it is usually because we were obese for so long and it seems odd. Also, some of us have a little bounceback from our lowest weight.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Grim_Traveller
on 1/7/15 8:23 am
RNY on 08/21/12

1/4 of a cup is not too much food. But chicken is actually hard for people. Steak is actually easier for me than chicken. But moist, thin deli meats are your best bet.

It does sound like a possible stricture. Ask for an endoscopy if you still have trouble.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 134 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics