****yx/tailbone pain

sm14
on 1/8/15 10:15 am

Since about half way through my weight loss I have experience extreme ****yx pain when sitting for a period of time. Has this happened to anyone else?

17 months out from 385 -> 162 pain or not, not a regret in the world for anyone wondering! have a visit with my doctor to discuss next month!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/8/15 10:33 am, edited 1/8/15 10:33 am - OH

When you sit, you don't really sit with your weight on the actual ****yx (tailbone).  The vast majority of your weight is on the "sit bones" (yes, I am serious... that is what they call them)  -- or ischial tuberosity. (Your actual tailbone is curved underneath and rather protected.)

The pain when sitting after massive weight loss, though, is quite common.  You lose the fat that was the primary thing between those bones and the chair and threfore it hurts.  Unfortunately, most of us who are MO or SMO don't exercise and therefore have next to no gluteal muscle tone... So basically ALL we have had cushioning our bones has been the fat!  

There is the short term solution of sitting on cushions whenever possible (frequently changing positions or the angle at which you are sitting to shift your weight also helps) and the longer term solution of bulding up all three gluteal muscles to use those as additional cushioning. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sm14
on 1/8/15 10:39 am

Yeah, I figured. I recently added squats into my workout routine and started doing 5x5 to build up muscle.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Wanted to run off the fat and never put much into lifting weights which is my only regret thus far throughout my journey.

Qajohn
on 1/8/15 10:47 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I didn't realize this was a problem until I took an 11 hour international flight about three months post-op. I now have a gel seat cushion I take with me on flights. I find myself doing quite a bit of fidgeting when I am at my office chair and when I'm at home. In the meantime, I'm trying to do squats and other excersises to build my glutes as much as I can.

May your squats be heavy and deep in the new year!!

SkinnyScientist
on 1/8/15 2:17 pm

Have you fallen recently.

Also, I use a donut.  Your ****yx goes in the whole part.

Doesnt look the best but it works!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

GodsChildII
on 1/8/15 11:20 pm - Seattle , WA
RNY on 08/05/14

Yes, yes, yes! This has been the worse. I have found shifting my weight, changing positions or standing up helps with this. I am so glad to read the explanation above and know why this is happening. I figured it was the lose of all that cushion back there 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 563 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 338 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 369 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics