Anyone have IBS before surgery?

mute
on 1/10/15 7:06 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I've been worried about my IBS after surgery. I can't find much info on how this can change with WLS. Has anyone here dealt with this issue?

Poodlemac
on 1/10/15 11:59 am, edited 1/10/15 9:41 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Yes, I had mild to moderate IBS prior to surgery, although really hadn't had TOO MANY bouts in last couple of years, I had some problems in the 2-3 mos leading up to surgery. I asked doctor about it and he said it wouldn't be an issue. I was taking Citrucel and doc said I could resume after healing. Also said he thinks citrucel is one of the best drugs on the market today!  I thought that was very interesting. Haven't had too many problems since surgery- except some serious bouts of constipation, tho not IBS.  Not currently taking anything for it. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/10/15 12:22 pm, edited 1/10/15 12:22 pm

Depends on the type you had. 

I never had IBS before RNY..now i deal with IBS-C.. Hate it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

crazy4birds
on 1/10/15 1:29 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I had IBS-D prior to surgery and did not tolerate fiber well at all.  I am only 5 weeks post op and have been very constipated.  I now take a laxative every other day but as usual for me with laxatives, they produce cramping.  I heard somewhere that people with IBS feel a lot more than reg people what is going on in their digestive tract.  Anyway, I haven't tried many foods but I am now able to eat beans without the usual IBS problems :) and I am hoping to add different types of fiber soon.  I am also lactose intolerant and have celiac's disease but I don't expect any improvement on those.   I think if you are more prone to constipation then it will still be the case at least starting out.

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

mute
on 1/10/15 11:47 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

My issue is mostly with constipation but when I have a bad attack I go from that to D pretty quickly. Mostly it's not a problem anymore except for the occasional attack. Part of what I'm worried about is when I have an attack the foods that make me feel ok are bread and plain pasta and I know I won't be able to eat those in the same way as I can now. I also juice a lot and that helps too but I don't think I can really do that after since I use fruit along with the veggies to make it taste good and that will be a high sugar content then.

I guess I'll just to wait and see. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/11/15 3:04 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I had IBS-D.  In fact, I typically went at least 5 to 6 times a day.  It was a real PIA (pun intended) but I couldn't imagine ever being constipated.  I actually had problems taking prenatals while I was pregnant because all of the prescription ones have a stool softener now because of the high iron content.  I thought I was going to die -- no amount of iron made stool softeners necessary. Then, when I became diabetic, I was put on Metformin.  I called it met-fartin.  It was AWFUL.  Never in a million years could I have imagined that I would ever not have diarrhea at least 5 to 6 times a day...

Cut to after surgery. 

I no longer have IBS-D.  However, I do struggle with constipation issues.  It has been so weird!  But, I do seem to have it all under control: I take Mag-oxide 3 x per day, a tsp of coconut oil and Miralax if I go more than two days.  It's a lot better than IBS-D for me.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 1/11/15 3:13 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I've dealt with both C and D and yes constipation is way easier to deal with! But can be painful unfortunately. Just hoping my issues don't get too bad post surgery.

I see you had surgery at CC, I'm in Ohio, but too far from CC for it to make sense to go there. I'm going to a place in Dayton.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/11/15 3:48 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Yes, it's a bit of a drive for me, too.  I live about 1.5 to 2 hours southeast of Cleveland (even further from Dayton!) -- but I work at Case Western Reserve part of the time -- so I am driving up there enough to have made it feasible. 

Good luck with your surgery.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Poodlemac
on 1/11/15 4:00 am
RNY on 09/26/14

Yes, miralax is good, too!

princessjess73
on 1/11/15 1:58 pm - Lees Summit, MO

I have both C and D and since surgery it ia all diarrhea. Horrible and had if anything  worse.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics