Post op vitamins

Kennerknecht
on 1/10/15 11:32 pm

what's your favorite brand? I'm sure some of you have tried different brands, I'm Looking for multi vitamin, calcium, iron, and b12 :) thanks all 

Starting Weight - 350             Goal Number One 299
Surgery Weight-  335             Goal Number Two 249
Current Weight-  325             Goal Number Three 199
Goal Weight -      150             Goal Number Four 150

STB
on 1/11/15 12:45 am
RNY on 07/21/14

Bariatric Fusion chewable - they don't taste bad. I take two in the morning and two at night. They were recommended to me as being "complete". The only other supplement I take is D3 in the morning. It is easy to remember and I don't have to worry about mid day pills when I am busy with work.

SHARON  

poet_kelly
on 1/11/15 4:45 am - OH

Just FYI, four of those do not come close to meeting the ASMBS nutritional guidelines.  Four only has half of most stuff you need - you'd really need EIGHT a day.  Plus, four has less than 600 mg calcium citrate and the ASMBS recommends 1500 mg calcium citrate.  Vitamin manufacturers often put the word "complete" on their label but if you actually read the whole label, you can see they aren't really complete at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

STB
on 1/11/15 10:02 am
RNY on 07/21/14

Four actually gives me 1200 mg of calcium per day. I then eat yogurt and have some milk as well. My surgeon's office recommended these - it is not something I found myself. I am having labs this week so it will be interesting to see what they show. What is the ASMBS stand for? If I google it with those initial's will it come up? I'd like to compare this to the amounts on the vitamins I am taking. thanks for your feedback.

SHARON  

poet_kelly
on 1/11/15 10:05 am - OH

Four gives you 1200 mg calcium, yes.  But more than half of that is calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb.  So you are getting less than 600 mg calcium citrate, which is the type we need.

ASMBS stands for the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  They say RNY folks need 200% of the RDA of most things and one Bariatric Fusion only has 25% of the RDA of most things so if you take four, four times 25 is 100%.  Only half as much as the ASMBS says you need.

I'm sorry your surgeon's office recommends vitamins that don't meet the ASMBS guidelines and that they recommend taking so little calcium citrate.  I wish surgeons would provide patients with the ASMBS recommendations for vitamins.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/13/15 3:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

poet_kelly
on 1/11/15 4:44 am - OH

I use a generic multi, equivalent to Centrum, whatever I find cheapest.  Currently I'm using the Meijer brand.  They were on sale buy one get one free.  I use generic calcium citrate, too.

For iron, I used to use Sundown Perfect Iron but now I use vitalady Tender Iron.  I want carbonyl iron, since it is absorbed well and doesn't cause constipation, and the Vitalady has 60 mg iron plus 400 mg vitamin C in one capsule.  Since I had to increase my iron a little over a year ago, I had to take 12 of the Sundown pills plus a couple vitamin C, but I only need five of the Tender Iron, so I am in favor of fewer pills.

I like B12 shots.

shellyfk
on 1/11/15 5:02 am - Wisconsin Dells , WI

I use GNC womens ultra mega  it is pretty close to a prenatal vit. They are chewable and don't taste to bad i order off the internet.

nicupnorth
on 1/11/15 7:44 am - Eagle river, WI

I use bariatric advantage for all vitamins.  The multi vitamin twice a day, thinking about switching to unjury  they have a multi vitamin you only have to take once a day.  The iron I take once a day and powdered calcium two scoops 3 times a day and a vitamin D once a day.  Bariateic advantage has a lot of different choices on flavors.

Sherrie P.
on 1/11/15 10:26 am
RNY on 02/06/13

What Kelly said. 

I had a friend who took Bariatric Fusion and her labs are a hot mess. I took them for my first month out because I listened to her and bought a bottle. They were expensive so I did not want to waste them. I then switched to what the ASBM recommends. My labs are good.

Also, you can't really count the calcium in food because of our absorption issues. Seriously, calcium is a big deal and I wouldn't risk it.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?