Post op vitamins

poet_kelly
on 1/11/15 10:39 am - OH

And your labs will look good even if you take Bariatric Fusion or even if you take NO vitamins at all, for a while.  It's down the road that people suddenly find they have multiple serious problems due to vitamin deficiencies.  Like, I have talked to people that tell me their labs were "fine" for the first two years and then suddenly their hair is falling out, their hands and feet feel like they are falling asleep all the time, they can't concentrate, have really poor short term memory, all their joints hurt, they can hardly stand up long enough to take a shower, they are exhausted all the time, they have headaches all the time, etc.  And then when I ask about their labs, they realize their surgeon never tested some things and that other things were on the low side of normal for a while.  And when I ask about their vitamins, we discover they were taking a vitamin that was missing a lot of things or had very low levels of some things, that they were taking a gummy B12 which we can't absorb, etc.  And some of their health problems may be permanent, even if they start taking their vitamins again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/11/15 9:55 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Great replies...adding this piece of advice:   copy down all the details of each supplement (brand, daily dosage) and carry a copy in your purse; it's easy to get confused while standing in a store's supplement aisle. Looking at the specific requirements helps prevent purchasing mistakes like buying calcium carbonate when calcium citrate is correct.  Another example:  remember to look for the word "SUBLINGUAL" when buying B-12.  

Kennerknecht
on 1/11/15 11:29 pm

Whew that is a lot of information. My dr gave me a book today. It says I need 

multi Vitamin 

iron (depending on labs)

1000 vitamin b-12 sublingual 

1500-2000mg calcium citrate 

and to seep rate it through your the day because we can only absorb 500-600 mg at a time. 

He he also says I have to have chewable for at least 6 weeks (or liquid) 

thennit it gives me a huge list of options lol. 

Multi vitamin (chewable)

8 tablets a day for bariatric fusion. 

4 for bariatric advantage (and a iron pill) 

4 for Centrum chewable 

2 opurity bypass optimized multi

Calcium chewable 

6-8 bariatric advantage chewy bites 

5-7 opurity calcium citrate plus chews

6-8 twinlab chewable wafers

4-5 bariatric advantage calcium with vitamin d lozenges 

liquid 

tropical oasis calcium magnesium vitamin d 

or 

bluebonnet liquid calcium 

powder

upcal d calcium citrate powder 

ok so what our of these would be a good option or what do you think about them if you have tried them? 

Starting Weight - 350             Goal Number One 299
Surgery Weight-  335             Goal Number Two 249
Current Weight-  325             Goal Number Three 199
Goal Weight -      150             Goal Number Four 150

poet_kelly
on 1/11/15 11:57 pm - OH

Please thank your doctor for pointing out that you'd need eight of the Bariatric Fusion.  Seriously.  He did a great job with this list.

Any of these would be a good option.  Personally, I'd choose a multi I only needed two a day of.  I certainly wouldn't want to take eight a day.

I like Upcal D calcium citrate powder.   It's tasteless and you can add it to a protein shake or any drink or even mix it in stuff like yogurt.  And it's more affordable than many chewable calcium citrate options.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/12/15 12:02 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I found liquids and powder to be too messy and costly, but may be a good choice early on. I really didn't care for the Bariatric Advantage calcium lozenges because they are seem sour/chalky.   My favorites are Centrum Silver chewable vitamins and Bariatric Advantage 500 mg calcium chews because I consider them as "treats for the day." Another favorite is the Nature Made brand sublingual B-12 because they melt under my tongue the fastest.  Be careful taking advice at a support group meeting--some people can get off-track with supplement requirements and/or dosages.  

siberiancat
on 1/13/15 3:46 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Thanks for the info - especially for Calcium Citrate options.  I recently broke a tooth chewing my caramel Bariatric Advantage calcium chew and now can't do those any more (had to have a oral surgery, bone graft and eventually tooth implant!!)  I've used BA for years and looking for another good Calcium Citrate choice.

Also, regarding getting calcium from food - we take supplements because we don't absorb so calcium need SUPPLEMENTED.  It is easy to forget that we may be eating healthy but because of pouch and altered intestines, we don't absorb enough of vitamins/minerals from that healthy food.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery