4 days since RNY, LapBand removal & gallbladder removal

Judy A.
on 1/11/15 11:29 pm
RNY on 01/08/15

On Thur 1/8 I had my LapBand Removed, my gallbladder removed and had gastric bypass. Everything went well, but the doctor was surprised at how bad my gallbladder was and how extensive and large my stones were- resulting in a larger incision there. I must say that the only pain I have right now is from the gallbladder area. And it seems to be controlled with Tylenol only today (for the most part). I walked A LOT in the hospital and am trying to walk around the house, but with the frigid temperatures outside, my space is limited (although I did just have to clean up puppy pop since I'm the only one home- so maybe that counts for something). I spent 2 nights in the hospital and was definitely uncomfortable and restless, but they medicated me as I needed it and I survived. I came home last night and felt like Imdidnt know how to get comfortable. I slept on my bed (I'm a side sleeper) for an hour or so, but felt it was too flat and hard to get up. I tried my recliner and that was ok for a while, but felt too much like the hospital. So last night at around 3 am I moved to the couch and found my sweet spot. I can lie on my side, I can switch sides by moving my pillows to the other side of the couch- I can also easily adjust my angle with pillows and always feel back support. I actually was able to sleep for about 3 hours straight! I can also protect my belly so that the puppy can come up and cuddle when she is calm. At least I found my home base for the next day or two. i was sent home on a phase 1 clear liquids- which in my program includes prepackaged Premier Protien shakes (and others). I have to call Monday morning for my follow up appointment. I have several meds that I must take and haven't had any problem tolerating them (well besides the fact that my thought is scratched a bit from the intubation for anesthesia). I had my first cup of coffee yesterday morning and it was heavenly. I had to mix one med with unsweetened applesauce (1 oz), and had no problem, but did feel full after having it. I am sipping slow, but not the ridiculously slow pace they started me off ion. I am finding that a good deal of my intake seems to be done with meds, and my stomach is only slightly upset.   I'm recording everything and am really pleased with how i feel right now. The nurse at discharge said I should feel a little better everyday and If anything starts to feel worse, call because it is not normal. It's really interesting to me that the gallbladder issues were likely one of the biggest problems I Was having before surgery and now the most problem I'm having now... It kinda takes the focus off of the gastric bypass for me and I feel hopeful that between that and the slipped LapBand, I'm going to feel awesome in a few weeks. I had been vomiting daily and avoiding so many foods that I guess feeling chronically sick had been a part of me, so today, knowing that the surgical pain is temporary, makes it all tolerable.

tomorrow I have my follow up appointment and see what the next step will be!

selhard
on 1/11/15 11:44 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

You sound like quite the trooper!  Apparently, gallbladder issues can be there for quite some time.  While in the hospital recuperating from extensive gallbladder surgery, the surgeon asked me how long I had been having gallbladder pain.  When I said, "since last Thursday," he started to laugh, placed his hand on my shoulder, and said "I'm afraid it's been a lot longer than last Thursday."  In shame and embarrassment, tears flowed when he said the gallbladder was so bad, it was infected, capsulized itself, and had adhered to my liver.   Anyway, you are brave to go through WLS more than once pursuing final success!

karenp8
on 1/11/15 11:45 pm - Brighton, IL

Glad to hear you are doing well. Welcome to the losers bench too!

My400lbLife
on 1/12/15 1:58 pm - Lusby, MD
RNY on 01/08/15

Wow, you sound way more comfortable than me, and I had RYGB and umbilical hernia repair on 1/8/15. My first (and hopefully only) WLS. I am 36yo, and I wanted to have it while I was still young enough to heal relatively fast. Having a ton of bloating and edema and its super hard to sleep, can't find a way to support my belly :( I am also a side sleeper, and this back to sleep bullcrap is the only position that doesn't drive me up the wall with pain, but it doesnt let me sleep! So happy you found a "sweet spot", lol lol!!! I came home with a JP drain and a clear liquids/protein shake only diet. Can't wait to get this drain out on Wed!! Yay. Where did you have your surgery done?

My400lbLife )O(

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 121 views