Back to Operating Room...

LilyBeez813
on 1/9/15 9:29 am
RNY on 11/12/14

I have had almost every listed complication for RNY . Now add stricture at the anastomosis site, where the new stomach pouch meets the small intestines. I began feeling distended after a small 2-3 ounce meal... then last Saturday I thought I had eaten some bad cottage cheese because I felt terrible after just a few bites. Two hours later I began to throw up. Foods from earlier in the day and I think the day before... I had already been in the Emergency Room on Monday for sever abdominal pain. Sent home with pain meds and GI medicine, along with a note to find a digestive disease doctor. Lucky for me I had made an appointment for Monday. He was not only able to see me in the office I was not able to eat so I didn't try. The new doctor was able to get me to the operating room and do a study called EDG it is an upper GI in some terms. He scoped me and found a narrowing so tight he could not push the scope through. He needed to follow up with my RNY surgeon before repair.. I have to be on liquids for a while. I had the 2nd EDG with dilation yesterday. I was glad to get it over with. I am hoping by Monday to try solid foods again. 

I was told this happens to 7% of RNY patients 8 to 12 weeks out.  Seek help if you have symptoms.

Be careful because he said I stretched my pouch already, he also said if I keep on the liquids for another week it should reduce itself.  RNY November 11, 2014. 

The journey has finally started!! Lily B~

NYMom222
on 1/9/15 11:49 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Wow sorry that happened. I am wondering why you didn't go to your WLS surgeon first.  just curious. There is a natural enlarging of the pouch once the swelling goes down and you are healing. hard to believe you actually stretched it so early out. Good Luck with the recovery.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

LilyBeez813
on 1/9/15 12:07 pm
RNY on 11/12/14

I went to ER Monday night  Dec 29th, I had text him, he and his family were at the airport heading out of town, he sent me there with his nurse practitioner.  He kept in touch with her over the New Year Holiday, and she with me. Saturday the 4th I got sick, I went on liquids on Sunday, trying to keep proteins up. I went to the GI doctor appointment Monday at 10 am, by the time I got there my WLS doctor had already spoke to him. I went to endoscopy Monday afternoon the back to my WLS doctor on Tuesday... He shook his head and smiled and said "I have done nearly 500 of these procedures and you, yes YOU are my only patient with any complications and you have had 4 different ones so far!"  and then "you know this is not a check list". we all laughed. I have thrown him a curve ball.

NYMom222
on 1/10/15 3:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Glad you were in contact with your WLS Surgeon during this.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/9/15 1:31 pm - OH

Did he say HOW you could possibly have stretched your pouch so soon?!?  Stretching the pouch is actually quite difficult (it is made from the least stretchy part of the stomach) and requires overeating on a regular basis.

I suspect that perhaps the GI doc just saw a pouch that was originally (and probably intentionally) made a bit larger than he is used to seeing. Surgeons vary in how small they make the pouches.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/9/15 3:01 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

And, a week on liquids will not shrink a stretched pouch. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 1/9/15 6:13 pm - OH

That's what I was thinking.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MyLady Heidi
on 1/10/15 9:00 pm

Stricture is common side effect at your stage, why didn't your surgeon perform the scope and dialation?  Never go to any doctor that is not consulting directly with your surgeon because now you will need another scope  to complete the dialation.  Your pouch stretched?  How could the person looking at it for the first and only time know this.

LilyBeez813
on 1/11/15 3:12 am
RNY on 11/12/14

It was my WLS that sent me to the GI Doctor. I had the dilation. I found out from my WLS doctor that he had to make the pouch a bit larger to begin with due to anatomy, thus you were right in suspecting it was not stretched out. I did have the dilation, I feel much better. I will f/u with WLS doctor again on Tuesday. I am able to eat softer foods and liquids. The weight is coming off still! yippee.  2 months down a life time of living ahead of me! thank you for your input.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views