Finally off pureed

Lisa82
on 1/10/15 2:28 am

Just curious...I am 4 weeks post op today from having RNY. I am able to go on to stage 4 which is regular diet. What is a good "regular" food to start out with? What was your first "real" food choice? I am curious as to where to begin and a little nervous as well. Obviously I am not going to go to Pizza Hut..actually that doesn't even sound good. I have tried pureed meats but just couldn't do it. Something about pureed meats just didn't seem right. I have been having soups and scrambled eggs as well as my protein shakes and water. 

knolmom
on 1/10/15 4:51 am

Salmon, crab cakes, dark meat chicken from a rotisserie chicken, mashed sweet potato with one half pat of butter, tuna salad with whole wheat crackers, cauliflower, broccoli( not everyone is approved for this right away) roast pork tenderloin cut into small pieces, with unsweetened applesauce, apple slices, no skin, cut very small, blueberries, but not strawberries or raspberries because of the seeds.

Anything else that you puréed, like turkey chili or bean soup you can now just chew well and enjoy! Had a great cup of Pasta Fagoli in a restaurant last night. Plenty of beans, a few noodles and great veggies cooked well. The had about 2 oz broiled salmon with a few green beans. Brought the rest home for dinner tonight.

STB
on 1/10/15 6:25 am
RNY on 07/21/14

A lot of the early foods that many tolerated early on, I could not or they didn't taste good to me but I would keep retrying them after about a month and many of the early foods are OK now for me. I am five months post op. Tuna fish is something lots of folks tolerate (with reduced fat mayo) and I couldn't wait to have it on crackers! It sounded so good in my mind but only recently have been able to tolerate it. (But it IS good!! LOL). Same thing with eggs but now they are OK.

Some things that went down well were a chicken thigh (boneless, skinless). I make these two ways. 1) with sauce and cheese covered with aluminum foil and baked 2) with applesauce on top - I know it doesn't sound good but it was - also covered and baked. MOIST is key. I made my own applesauce - just cut up a variety of apples (peeled and cored), threw them in my slow cooker with apple pie spice and truvia and let it simmer all day. Turkey with gravy. Mixing meat in mashed potatoes can help and make sure it is cut up VERY fine.

I also made turkey meatballs with sauce that went down well. Tomato soup was a favorite also.Toast was good. The soup, potatoes and toast has carbs that may have to be limited as time goes on but right now when you are trying to get some more calories in I think it is OK. Saltine crackers were good.

Chew, chew and chew some more and eat SLOWLY!. Remember, what doesn't settle now probably will in the future. For a treat I make no sugar added hot coco with a little bit of light whipped cream on top. I live in NH and it has been FRIGID here this wee****ep sugar to 5 - 7 gms o less in anything I buy (sauce, coco, BBQ sauce, etc).

Let us know how you make out!

SHARON  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 412 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?