The 6 week post op transition.

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 1/16/15 3:39 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I'm on my 6th week post op. Time to get back to some normal foods with texture. Only problem is when I try anything with texture it comes back up.  I am tired of puking so much! I measure, eat slowly and don't get "foamies". Food with texture just goes down and sits then comes back up.  I would be worried about problems but smoother easier to digest foods I don't have problems with.  I'm hoping this is "normal" and will pass. Just a few weeks ago yogurt was too thick and now it's no problem. Any suggestions for transition foods back to textured foods? I have been eating hamburger, babybell and Cheerios along with yogurt and protein shakes.

http://bypassgal2014.blogspot.com

Dartmouth
on 1/16/15 9:03 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Hi....some bodies are slower than others and I know your mouth wants to eat different textures but sometimes the body doesn't cooperate with the mouth and you need to wait for it to catch up!  .I still need to vary my textures in one meal as I struggle over dry protein....

have you tried fish like cod, sea bass or mahi mahi?  Or tinned tuna flaked well and mixed with yogurt....I also eat beans and poached eggs and soups with soft meats?  Slow cookers apparently work well too.....I often eat fresh tomatoes with my meat or fish to moisten it a little. And thin sliced deli turkey or ham is sometimes easier and you can add tomatoes and roll it up or spread some low fat creamed cheese.

i am still looking for the perfect low carb crunch that goes down well....( almonds sometimes do it for me...)

Cheese is good but maybe laughing cow which is not as dense as baby bell...

good luck....it does get better

Joan

STB
on 1/16/15 9:27 pm
RNY on 07/21/14

It will get better. Beef is still somewhat problematic for me (5 months post op). Moist is good. I usually wait 3 or 4 weeks and then retry something. finally tunafish is OK which is something that others typically do well with early on but I didn't. I do a turkey meatball in sauce (read labels - under 5 to 7 gms/sugar) or  a meat sauce with either ground turkey or ground beef (no pasta though). Pot roast in a crock pot so it falls apart then, make with a gravy. quiche may be good. watch carbs though in the pie crust (don't eat the crust****ep my carbs to under 50 gms/day. boneless, skinless chicken thighs baked covered with sauce and cheese on top. sometimes mixing meat in mashed potatoes helps but once again, potatoes have carbs so be careful with that. I can now tolerate a half of a grilled cheese sandwich (but carbs once again - I buy a light bread that has half the carbs of regular bread). I have also made homemade applesauce in the crock pot (cored, peeled and sliced apples with apple pie spices and truvia) then have topped the chicken with that and baked it covered. a pork roast in the crock pot with apples might also be good. apples have carbs. I can now tolerate about 1.5 ounces of meats prepared this way but I still take about 45 minutes - one hour to eat. It does get better!

SHARON  

Lady_bugg
on 1/16/15 10:25 pm
RNY on 11/18/14

Is it possible that you aren't chewing it enough before you swallow?  I can handle textured foods but I still chew to puree stage before swallowing. 

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 1/16/15 11:07 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

I've been good about chewing thoroughly . I try to count my chews before swallowing. Its puree when it comes back up. 

Soon_2_b_skinny
on 1/16/15 11:04 pm
RNY on 12/02/14

The foods I listed at the end of my post do not give me issues. It's the heavier meats that do cause problems even in sauce. My body probably is slower to heal due to inflammatory illness I have. Thanks for the ideas. I will have to retry tuna and fish. Some items I have thrown up already (tuna) are hard to go back to but I will try. Deli meats do work ok I will need to get more of that. I'm glad it does get better. It is scary to get to this point and fear that my stomach may be this sensitive permanently as that would not be sustainble. Still trying to figure out what I can eat when traveling and having to eat out. 

Eggface
on 1/17/15 12:06 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I am/was a big dipper. I make a lot of Greek yogurt based dips to help meat, veggies slide better and you get the bonus of some added protein. I'd make mention of it to your Dr... it shouldn't continue to happen and often stricture or ulcer (easily resolved) can be the cause. Ask Dr to rule those out.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 443 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 452 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?